• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Back to coding

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back to coding

Is it possible to go back to being a coder after almost 3 years away from any coding(been doing la di da BA work? )only fed up with chasing people to make business decisions, and all the politics to go with it.

But hold on -I sort of remember when I was a coder I just worked too many hours, if there is a bug when going live / testing you just had to stay all day/night to fix it, and all this server deployment crap, when it goes wrong you got no idea where which part fell through and having to go through the whole end to end application to see the weakest link , not to mention psycho techies who insist on editing everything in Vi ..yuuuuuuk hmmm I think I'll just stick to my PowerPoint slides !!

I'm working on a project at the moment that's so badly organised the developers regularly work weekends and at every go live spend the week before working untill 12 or 1am every night, stick with power point...
    Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

If you were a competent and skilled coder, then go for. However, it sounds like you weren't so stick to BA work.
      Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
        I sort of remember when I was a coder I just worked too many hours, if there is a bug when going live / testing you just had to stay all day/night to fix it, and all this server deployment crap, when it goes wrong you got no idea where which part fell through and having to go through the whole end to end application to see the weakest link !
        ...aha sounds like J2EE
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

I've gone back to coding after being a manager type and its the way forward for me. Knock off at 5 and I struggle to remember what I was doing when I get in at 9 the next day. If you are a decent developer then you should be able to dictate your terms and make it clear from day 1 you aren't doing weekends and silly hours to cover for people not doing their jobs further up the chain. I quote 'family' or 'personal' reasons if they apply pressure and once they know you won't do it they have to find some other mug. If it's my code and I feel I'm the reason things are a mess I'll do the necessary extra graft but on 9 out of 10 projects the managers have stuffed things up long before it gets to the pleb level.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown View Post
            Is it possible to go back to being a coder after almost 3 years away from any coding(been doing la di da BA work? )only fed up with chasing people to make business decisions, and all the politics to go with it.

But hold on -I sort of remember when I was a coder I just worked too many hours, if there is a bug when going live / testing you just had to stay all day/night to fix it, and all this server deployment crap, when it goes wrong you got no idea where which part fell through and having to go through the whole end to end application to see the weakest link , not to mention psycho techies who insist on editing everything in Vi ..yuuuuuuk hmmm I think I'll just stick to my PowerPoint slides !!
            The irony, the irony!
            PS Using vi separates the men from the boys, or is it the men from the women.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've gone back to coding after being a manager type and its the way forward for me. Knock off at 5 and I struggle to remember what I was doing when I get in at 9 the next day. If you are a decent developer then you should be able to dictate your terms and make it clear from day 1 you aren't doing weekends and silly hours to cover for people not doing their jobs further up the chain. I quote 'family' or 'personal' reasons if they apply pressure and once they know you won't do it they have to find some other mug. If it's my code and I feel I'm the reason things are a mess I'll do the necessary extra graft but on 9 out of 10 projects the managers have stuffed things up long before it gets to the pleb level.
              I hate that attitude! But your 100% right.

Comment

Real coders use vi.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeHopper View Post
                  Real coders use vi.
                  real coders use "copy con:"

Comment

Real coders use debug.

Comment

Working...
                    X