• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What the hell am I doing here?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What the hell am I doing here?

I was walking back to my chair in the place I'm working and I saw all of these people at their PCs, tapping away, headphones on etc... then it struck me - what the hell am I doing here?

People are out there are making music, making movies, being outdoors, chilling at home, etc. What am I doing here tapping away at my PC?

Anyone else ever look up and think the same thing?
    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Originally posted by beaker View Post
    I was walking back to my chair in the place I'm working and I saw all of these people at their PCs, tapping away, headphones on etc... then it struck me - what the hell am I doing here?

People are out there are making music, making movies, being outdoors, chilling at home, etc. What am I doing here tapping away at my PC?

We're all just playing along until we got enough cash to do all of those things...

Comment

This feeling is what's known as the "Naked Lunch" moment - the moment you suddenly become detached from the now, and see things for what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Muttley08 View Post
        We're all just playing along until we got enough cash to do all of those things...
        23/11/2007 for me, 3 months can't wait
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by beaker View Post

Yes all the time
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

i know exactly what im doing here... click send of the invoice to Accounts Payable... i'm now waiting for 1hr 40 mins to pass by before i go get my 1st Class train oop norf and enjoy the weekend..

work to live dont live to work..
            The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I think the same thing most days, and have been for several years now. The theory is, as the good dog said, to be able to earn enough until you can afford to chill out. Of course, this more than often means that we all work until we're too old to enjoy life any more.

I hate this humdrum, but money is a necessary evil unless you can extricate yourself from everyday society and move into a less financially motivated side of life.

At the end of the day, it is somewhat up to you. You just have to have the will to choose what you want to do.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                i know exactly what im doing here... click send of the invoice to Accounts Payable... i'm now waiting for 1hr 40 mins to pass by before i go get my 1st Class train oop norf and enjoy the weekend..

work to live dont live to work..
                ... as your milkman so wisely says.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
                  ... as your milkman so wisely says.
                  we will see..
                  The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

It takes a lot of effort just to apply myself to this mindless nonsense everyday in the first case. I really don't need the distraction of recognising it for what it really is.
                    Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Working...
                    X