PDA

View Full Version : What the hell am I doing here?

beaker
21st September 2007, 14:20
I was walking back to my chair in the place I'm working and I saw all of these people at their PCs, tapping away, headphones on etc... then it struck me - what the hell am I doing here?

People are out there are making music, making movies, being outdoors, chilling at home, etc. What am I doing here tapping away at my PC?

Anyone else ever look up and think the same thing?

Muttley08
21st September 2007, 14:21
I was walking back to my chair in the place I'm working and I saw all of these people at their PCs, tapping away, headphones on etc... then it struck me - what the hell am I doing here?

People are out there are making music, making movies, being outdoors, chilling at home, etc. What am I doing here tapping away at my PC?

We're all just playing along until we got enough cash to do all of those things...

DBA_bloke
21st September 2007, 14:23
This feeling is what's known as the "Naked Lunch" moment - the moment you suddenly become detached from the now, and see things for what they are.

alreadypacked
21st September 2007, 14:24
We're all just playing along until we got enough cash to do all of those things...

23/11/2007 for me, 3 months can't wait :D

Bagpuss
21st September 2007, 14:25

Yes all the time

chef
21st September 2007, 14:26
i know exactly what im doing here... click send of the invoice to Accounts Payable... i'm now waiting for 1hr 40 mins to pass by before i go get my 1st Class train oop norf and enjoy the weekend..

work to live dont live to work..

ChimpMaster
I think the same thing most days, and have been for several years now. The theory is, as the good dog said, to be able to earn enough until you can afford to chill out. Of course, this more than often means that we all work until we're too old to enjoy life any more.

I hate this humdrum, but money is a necessary evil unless you can extricate yourself from everyday society and move into a less financially motivated side of life.

At the end of the day, it is somewhat up to you. You just have to have the will to choose what you want to do.

DBA_bloke
i know exactly what im doing here... click send of the invoice to Accounts Payable... i'm now waiting for 1hr 40 mins to pass by before i go get my 1st Class train oop norf and enjoy the weekend..

work to live dont live to work..

... as your milkman so wisely says.

chef
21st September 2007, 14:28
... as your milkman so wisely says.

we will see.. ;)

beaker
21st September 2007, 14:28
It takes a lot of effort just to apply myself to this mindless nonsense everyday in the first case. I really don't need the distraction of recognising it for what it really is.

Bagpuss
21st September 2007, 14:30
Beaker, at leat you recognise it's meaningless, nothing worse than those who think the company would grind to a halt were they not there and act as such

Muttley08
21st September 2007, 14:31
It takes a lot of effort just to apply myself to this mindless nonsense everyday in the first case. I really don't need the distraction of recognising it for what it really is.

You need to focus on your payslips more.

Or get change of gig - sometimes a change is as good etc...

Murder1
21st September 2007, 14:34
Beaker, at leat you recognise it's meaningless, nothing worse than those who think the company would grind to a halt were they not there and act as such

Too many of those exist here I'm afraid.

Jog On
21st September 2007, 14:52
I realised this about a year and a half ago and have since been learning about passive income. Around the 9-5 I do a lot of internet marketing which is starting to show some regular passive income. Just need to keep learning, doing and applying the 80/20 rule and I plan to say goodbye to 9-5 life forever :banana:

gingerjedi
21st September 2007, 14:53
And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful
wife
And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?

Letting the days go by/let the water hold me down
Letting the days go by/water flowing underground
Into the blue again/after the money's gone
Once in a lifetime/water flowing underground.

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
And you may tell yourself
This is not my beautiful house!
This is not my beautiful wife!

Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...
Same as it ever was...Same as it ever was...

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Carry the water at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean!

Into the blue again/in the silent water
Under the rocks and stones/there is water underground.

And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right?...Am I wrong?
MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

Moscow Mule
21st September 2007, 15:00
And you may find yourself living in a shotgun shack
And you may find yourself in another part of the world
And you may find yourself behind the wheel of a large automobile
And you may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful
wife
And you may ask yourself-Well...How did I get here?

And you may ask yourself
How do I work this?
And you may ask yourself
Where is that large automobile?
This is not my beautiful house!
This is not my beautiful wife!

Water dissolving...and water removing
There is water at the bottom of the ocean
Carry the water at the bottom of the ocean
Remove the water at the bottom of the ocean!

And you may ask yourself
What is that beautiful house?
And you may ask yourself
Where does that highway go?
And you may ask yourself
Am I right?...Am I wrong?
MY GOD!...WHAT HAVE I DONE?

That will be 30p please.

gingerjedi
21st September 2007, 15:02
That will be 30p please.

Only if I sing it... shirley?

vetran
21st September 2007, 15:27
Nope lyrics are copyrighted as well.

55p plus £10,000 fine, even if you are a 13 year old single mother or granny.

Love XXXX

RIAA

AlfredJPruffock
21st September 2007, 15:35

Working is for Fools and Horses - I admire my old friend whom , despite not even being employed has managed to amass debts of over 25 grand - he has had a ball of a time and has not the slightest intention of paying a dime back - nor lowering his dignity by working - he intends to go bankrupt.

By the way the Greeks thought that work involving mental exertion was the most debasing work of all.

I never wanted to do this - I always wanted to be a LumberJack ...

Lucy
21st September 2007, 15:51

Dear Beaky

I have been thinking the same thing for a while, and as trite as it sounds I don't think I will be truly happy in any situation work or otherwise until I sort some of my sh!t out. Obviously, I don't know if this applies to you, but many wise wo/men have said happiness isn't dependant on any external person, place or thing...

Having said that, I am going to begin some part time study next year so I can have a complete career change, 14 years in IT is more than enough.

Is there something you would really like to study or think about doing in the future?

beaker
21st September 2007, 16:02
Unfortunately I am about to complete an MBA, therefore condemning myself to corporate life for the rest of my days. What a bore...

I really just should have travelled the world with a guitar and surfboard rather than a laptop and an IT degree...

Lucy
21st September 2007, 16:05
Unfortunately I am about to complete an MBA, therefore condemning myself to corporate life for the rest of my days. What a bore...

I really just should have travelled the world with a guitar and surfboard rather than a laptop and an IT degree...

It's never too late:)

Unless you have children...

Jog On
21st September 2007, 16:06

An MBA shouldn't condemn you to corporate life should it? I'm doing business training to get out of corporate life!

beaker
21st September 2007, 16:09
An MBA shouldn't condemn you to corporate life should it? I'm doing business training to get out of corporate life!

Well, you know what I mean... what else is it good for? You don't exactly need one to run a coffee shop

vetran
21st September 2007, 16:12
Mate of mine got one and is now a driving instructor, apparently its good money.

brownie74
21st September 2007, 16:13
i had the same moment of clarity some years ago

i am now completely focussed on the $$ and banking more loot

everything i do in work is geared towards increasing my rate

since i've been working like that i've actually been enjoying work more

sadly, i've realised i'm completely motivated by money - since my rate has gone up a lot over the last year- i'm a relative success and i'm feeling good about work!

i might aswell cash myself up before moving onto something more meaningful

alreadypacked
21st September 2007, 16:16
i might aswell cash myself up before moving onto something more meaningful

Are you single :wink

Jog On
21st September 2007, 16:16
Well, you know what I mean... what else is it good for? You don't exactly need one to run a coffee shop

I'm training to build my Ltd up into a company that will run without me and that I can some day sell for a lot of money. Can't an MBA help you do something like that?

Sysman
21st September 2007, 16:38
Nope lyrics are copyrighted as well.

55p plus £10,000 fine, even if you are a 13 year old single mother or granny.

Love XXXX

RIAA
Correction. This thread has had 246 views as I write.

The RIAA will now assume that 246 people are now copyright infringers. And they've got access to that den of iniquity called the internet, so must be pirating music and software.

Plus their immediate family, and all their friends, family and colleagues.

Probably the postman too.

No hope whatsoever, I'm afraid.

realityhack
21st September 2007, 16:44
Beaker - I completely relate to that. Not a day goes by at the client's site without me either

a: hating wearing a suit - however well tailored it is to make me feel better about wearing one. (mostly because I'm surrounded by dull suit wearing <expletive>, and I feel like I'm in the film Brazil)

b: dealing with uninspiring, institutionalised morons.

c: surreptitiously rolling my eyes at corporate-speak in a meeting, having to stop myself yelling "What the? do you even understand anything you just said?? Speak in English, not MBA-BS."

d: listening to middle-management warble on about football in worrying detail (do these people have a life??), smiling politely at banal jokes, and being on the fringes of asinine chit-chat.

or e: longing to frisbee my monitor through one of the windows, light a cigar - setting off the sprinkler system, jump onto the desk and yell "Hey everybody - let's..." (Copyright Mary Whitehouse Experience).

But no - I do the duty of a contractor, which is to quietly chuckle as I prepare my invoices, book holiday time whenever I feel like it, feel free of the politics except when I need to get something done in the interests of my team, and marvel at how much more money I'm making with each renewal.

Take solace from the fact you realise how superficial this all is, and work on your plan B while the money's coming in.

Cliphead
21st September 2007, 17:39

I'm working / chilling at home right now and part of my job (if you could call it that), is writing music.

I'm still in IT but no more agents, motorway travelling, having to deal with assorted mongrels, dickheads etc. There's nothing stopping you from doing something different if you really want it.

Rantor
21st September 2007, 18:26
I have multiple clients but one of them is turning into Project Stalingrad - I gave a verbal commitment to stick around on a rolling contract but each day I ask myself wtf I am doing there.

This is the first time I've felt physically sick at the prospect of going on site.:mad

brownie74
21st September 2007, 19:49
Are you single :wink

no. why? do i sound like a w*nker?

Lucy
21st September 2007, 20:37
I have multiple clients but one of them is turning into Project Stalingrad - I gave a verbal commitment to stick around on a rolling contract but each day I ask myself wtf I am doing there.

This is the first time I've felt physically sick at the prospect of going on site.:mad

Dear Rantor

Look after yourself, I've felt like this (and actually been sick) it is horrid, and I am convinced no contract is worth feeling this way.

threaded
21st September 2007, 21:46
I had one of those moments of clarity, and went out and bought myself a chip shop.

Whenever I think I have a handle on the world I look at the books for the chip shop.

Reminds me the world is barking, barking mad. Fscking fish and potato salesmen, and don't get me started on the pies.

threaded in "meat and two veg" mode.

MobileCheese
21st September 2007, 22:47
IT is not really what I wanted to do either, in fact when I was first starting looking for work I would not apply for IT jobs. I couldnt get a job in the end I then applied for my first IT job and I got it ffs :o 9 years down the line Im still in IT gggrrrrrrr

I just try and think about the £ Ive been very lucky, and also that though I dont really like it things could of been much worse and therefore its not that bad. When I went to college my choice was a chefs course or a business / IT course, I didnt take the chefs course as I didnt want to fork out the cash for equipment. Not dissing chefs but I think to myself I could of ended up a chef working bad hours and not great money, I would never have been a good chef my cooking is cr*p.

Think of the £ ching ching

SouthRoute55
21st September 2007, 22:58
Dear Rantor

Look after yourself, I've felt like this (and actually been sick) it is horrid, and I am convinced no contract is worth feeling this way.

So true, I have been feeling physically ill for almost a year, hate it, recently I am even losing my sleep, which never ever happened before, I've been known to never have enough of sleep, what do I do? I have a family that depends on me, bills to pay etc :frown :frown

realityhack
22nd September 2007, 01:12
So true, I have been feeling physically ill for almost a year, hate it, recently I am even losing my sleep, which never ever happened before, I've been known to never have enough of sleep, what do I do? I have a family that depends on me, bills to pay etc :frown :frown
Take a break soon. Remind yourself that you're in control. That you may be where you are right now because of convenience or because you're in a 'comfort zone' and can't be arsed/motivated to escape - but that, at the end of the day, you can simply walk away.
I'm only still with this client because the positives outnumber the negatives - your health is more important than any job, if it's that bad - take a sabbatical or an undemanding contract to give yourself some headspace.
Make sure you're not alone, talk it through with friends.

SouthRoute55
22nd September 2007, 01:30
Take a break soon. Remind yourself that you're in control. That you may be where you are right now because of convenience or because you're in a 'comfort zone' and can't be arsed/motivated to escape - but that, at the end of the day, you can simply walk away.
I'm only still with this client because the positives outnumber the negatives - your health is more important than any job, if it's that bad - take a sabbatical or an undemanding contract to give yourself some headspace.

Thanks, but as mentioned earlier I have many dependants and financial commitments, if I am on the bench for more than a month or so me and the family will go under. Its not this client who made me feel like a nervous wreck, its the previous one, am still suffering, worrying that same problems will happen again, also the wife is suffering from serious health problems and unable to work. Oh well, may be am not cut out for this contracting, but I have absolutely no other option, if I take a permie role at this moment we may lose everything.

Oh dear here I go moaning again :sick

brownie74
22nd September 2007, 09:39
Thanks, but as mentioned earlier I have many dependants and financial commitments, if I am on the bench for more than a month or so me and the family will go under. Its not this client who made me feel like a nervous wreck, its the previous one, am still suffering, worrying that same problems will happen again, also the wife is suffering from serious health problems and unable to work. Oh well, may be am not cut out for this contracting, but I have absolutely no other option, if I take a permie role at this moment we may lose everything.

Oh dear here I go moaning again :sick

My honest advice to you is to get extremely fit. Like most people on here i've been through some terribly draining projects over the last 12 years and i know that when i was extremely fit it helped me deal with the stress much better. Sounds like your current project might allow you the luxury of a slightly longer lunch break to go to the gym/pool. Do it. You'll be surprised how much better you feel. Do it for 1 month and come back here and post the results.

pisces
22nd September 2007, 10:08
I need a new career. This lark is doing my head in too, just haven't got a clue what else to do. I've been looking into some franchises but the best ones want silly money and I'm not sure they are worth the risk, despite the "testimonials" :freaky:

:hug: for everyone anyway.

DieScum
22nd September 2007, 10:42
Yeah, how did it come to this.

Started to realise that I just hate, hate, hate work now. The money though.

Got enough in the bank so live to the same standard for a 2 or 3 years so I could take a break. Still reasonably young (28), not married, no kids, no mortgage.

Gonna take a couple of weeks off next and think about what I want to do. Gonna head out to Asia, stay in a nice hotel, just chill.

I've got a new job lined up as a project manager coming up... but do I really want all that? Always thought that I wanted the big house, kids, private schooling for them... and I do really want at least a couple of children ... but I don't want some rat race existence...

... but I still need an income ... :(

Troll
22nd September 2007, 11:23
Started to realise that I just hate, hate, hate work now. The money though.

Got enough in the bank so live to the same standard for a 2 or 3 years so I could take a break. Still reasonably young (28), not married, no kids, no mortgage.

I've got a new job lined up as a project manager coming up... but do I really want all that? Always thought that I wanted the big house, kids, private schooling for them... and I do really want at least a couple of children ... but I don't want some rat race existence...

... but I still need an income ... :(Nothing absolutely nothing will eat through your cash pile faster than kids ..forget Asia... & put the pennies away now

DieScum
22nd September 2007, 12:50
It isn't that expensive. Flight is 500 quid. Hotel is free and spending money will be whatever I want.

Just want to get away, do something new, experience a place I have never been before.

Which is kind of what I want. I don't want my life just to be working, getting married to the girlfriend, making polite conversation at grown up parties, dealing with the million tiny humilations at various offices to ultimately make money for various corporations a large share of which gets spent on just being in a position to work in an office.

Just want to relax and have a random adventure. Maybe one of the few chance I will get to this again if I have kids soon.

Lucy
22nd September 2007, 13:17
It isn't that expensive. Flight is 500 quid. Hotel is free and spending money will be whatever I want.

Just want to get away, do something new, experience a place I have never been before.

Which is kind of what I want. I don't want my life just to be working, getting married to the girlfriend, making polite conversation at grown up parties, dealing with the million tiny humilations at various offices to ultimately make money for various corporations a large share of which gets spent on just being in a position to work in an office.

Just want to relax and have a random adventure. Maybe one of the few chance I will get to this again if I have kids soon.

Go, go now and be free, have fun and do what makes you happy.

Koh Samui is fantastic for just hanging out and The Spa resort has fantastic food and massages and is really inexpensive. I wish I had of spent more time in SE Asia.

MobileCheese
22nd September 2007, 19:17
I need a new career. This lark is doing my head in too, just haven't got a clue what else to do. I've been looking into some franchises but the best ones want silly money and I'm not sure they are worth the risk, despite the "testimonials" :freaky:

:hug: for everyone anyway.

Funny you mention Franchises I looked into these as well specifically Pizza, was supprised at how little ££ was in it, need a decent size chain of branches to make a decent ££.

realityhack
22nd September 2007, 22:10
My honest advice to you is to get extremely fit...
...i know that when i was extremely fit it helped me deal with the stress much better...
...Do it. You'll be surprised how much better you feel...
...Do it for 1 month and come back here and post the results.
Bloody good advice. I'm working on that too - it really does give you more energy.

I've been looking into some franchises...
Not with a 10 foot barge pole. Two mates of mine just spent 65k on that kind of malarkey with 3k/month overheads - They've been sold down the river and I did warn against it, not even your own boss properly with a franchise, not for me.

Gonna take a couple of weeks off next and think about what I want to do. Gonna head out to Asia, stay in a nice hotel, just chill.
Have a great time mate - hope you get some clarity out there.

bored
22nd September 2007, 22:35
Bloody good advice. I'm working on that too - it really does give you more energy.

I second that. If you are stressed at work/do not have a lot of time, then do not do any aerobic activity such as jogging/cycling, instead two 30-45min anaerobic gym sessions per week plus one session playing your favourite sport (football, tennis etc) will be more than enough.

GreenerGrass
23rd September 2007, 09:03
Not with a 10 foot barge pole. Two mates of mine just spent 65k on that kind of malarkey with 3k/month overheads - They've been sold down the river and I did warn against it, not even your own boss properly with a franchise, not for me.

Go on, name and shame, What type of franchise did they start?
Statistically the success rate tends to be higher than if you start your own, due to having a "proven" business system to follow and nationally recognised branding.

Good thread by the way, not a day goes by without me thinking "this is all bollocks", and "I pity these permies" who are getting so absorbed, stressed and frustrated by politics.
But come invoice time it all makes sense and you can feel detached from the role and focussed on the real goals, your goals not theirs, that the money will help achieve.
Definitely a different mindset to being permie IMO, I'm the only contractor in a permie group at the moment and its really weird sometimes.
They never discuss anything of any real importance, none of them have a "plan B", or think outside their status as an employee and pension prisoner.

realityhack
23rd September 2007, 18:26
Go on, name and shame, What type of franchise did they start?
This (http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/franchise/) one. So much of the 'motivational stuff' reminded me of pyramid scheme frenzy - they're hooked into everything - cutting off preferred suppliers, the van hire, IT equipment, clothing, business cards, everything. They tried to charge 2k for an awning - a tent! I'd rather snort coarsely-ground glass than get involved with something like this.

It is a different psychology doing what we do - and I think it prepares us well for breaking out of IT whenever we decide we need a change, doing something as leftfield as opening a chippie eh Threaded?

:)

beaker
23rd September 2007, 22:15
I´ve always thought buying a franchise is a good way to buy
yourself a minimum wage job. Most of the people I know in small business work 10 hours a day 6 days a week to earn a decent living. Need to really have quite a few shops/people working for you to make it worthwhile.

The people who make the real money are the sellers of the franchise. No franchised service is rocket science - its all fairly straightforward stuff.

pisces
24th September 2007, 06:18
This (http://www.chipsaway.co.uk/franchise/) one. So much of the 'motivational stuff' reminded me of pyramid scheme frenzy - they're hooked into everything - cutting off preferred suppliers, the van hire, IT equipment, clothing, business cards, everything. They tried to charge 2k for an awning - a tent! I'd rather snort coarsely-ground glass than get involved with something like this.

It is a different psychology doing what we do - and I think it prepares us well for breaking out of IT whenever we decide we need a change, doing something as leftfield as opening a chippie eh Threaded?

:)

why would you need an awning to do chip repairs? :confused:

According to one of the franchise sites, they have an 88% success rate. I would like to know what their definition of success is!

Shimano105
24th September 2007, 07:40
Funny but I used to get all those feelings as a contractor - and now I'm perm you'd expect it to be a hundred times worse.

But even though the pay isn't up to much I feel quite happy here, definitely no morning dread like I used to get.

I think the key is to get into a place with a good bunch of people that have a laugh and like to socialise - proper socialising not corporate team building b0llocks.

I'll never be rich but I'm ok for the minute. Keep thinking of getting back out there though!

gingerjedi
24th September 2007, 08:52
According to one of the franchise sites, they have an 88% success rate. I would like to know what their defination of success is!

Its similar to the Computeach and more recently the driving instructor adds, they say you will be earning 30k and guarantee a job if you take their training but the reality is they find you a 5hity 11k PA job and then cut you loose having fulfilled their obligation.

wendigo100
24th September 2007, 08:52
why would you need an awning to do chip repairs? :confused:In case it rains?

Churchill
24th September 2007, 08:53
In case it rains?

Keep the dust off the paint as it drys.

bobhope
24th September 2007, 10:18
Get a similar feeling too. I often wonder why permies stay late: don't they have anything better to do? I can think (and have) a hundred things better / more important than working late.

I keep thinking: what's wrong with them?

ChimpMaster
24th September 2007, 10:32
Within the past 6 months or so I've also begun to really hate what I do, and the money means less to me every day. I've found that I've got to start enjoying life outside of "work" to give me that lift to drag me out of the office doldrums. Otherwise all you have is office life, and it's a lonely crappy life as a contractor.

I have recently started expanding my social circle some more - have some good local drinking buddies, more interation with old friends and cousins etc and also take part in some interesting adult activities that I won't mention here. Certainly takes the mind off "work"!!

Sometimes it's as simple as going out on a Friday night as well as a Saturday night (or even instead of)... just makes the week shorter and the weekend longer. Otherwise it's just work <--> home ... :(

Murder1
24th September 2007, 10:44
Sometimes it's as simple as going out on a Friday night as well as a Saturday night (or even instead of)... just makes the week shorter and the weekend longer. Otherwise it's just work <--> home ... :(

That's been a life long motto.

Dark Black
24th September 2007, 11:19

:yay::yay::yay:

This is exactly what I did - I'd been a permie for years (been thinking about contracting for so long but need a good kick to do it). In the end after two realy sh1t jobs in a row (stress/pressure, useless managers that just push more stress down instead of doing their job and managing it). In the end I just got really ill, wasn't sleeping, blood pressure went up, depression etc etc. So I walked away. Sent the last ****** manager a really honest in-his-face email telling him exactly what was wrong with the job and walked away.

I intended to take several months off just chillin and trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. I felt so much better almost immediately - it was like a whole weight of fmy mind. In the end I had two months out then decided to go contracting for a while to pay off some more of the morgage etc.

Best move I ever made. Currently got a nice easy gig with decent staff, management that actually seem to know what they are doing and how to run projects (yeah I know :eek - I didn't think they existed either) and at the same time I'm earning more, take hols when I want, don't get invovled in politics or pressured to stay late etc.

I know this was a lucky contract and I'm not intending do this for ever.

I'm giving it a couple of years and as long as I can get a couple of renewal or so then I'll be off to buy a little cottage in the middle of nowhere.

DBA_bloke
24th September 2007, 11:39
Dear Beaky

but many wise wo/men have said happiness isn't dependant on any external person, place or thing...

These "wise" folk have ended up on a cross, or are loaded.

brownie74
24th September 2007, 12:27
...friends and cousins etc and also take part in some interesting adult activities that I won't mention here. Certainly takes the mind off "work"!!

dogging?

when you don't like your job - all you have to do is spend two hours down the gym at lunch. it means when you go to work, you are essentially going to the gym with a bit of work before and after- it means your aren't wasting your time - your days are spent getting/staying fit. also, spend your working/desk time engineering the work you do in order to skill yourself up- use the poison project as a vehicle for your own development. then make a move after a few months. you can turn around quite tedious projects like this - and you'll actually enjoy going into "work"

Muttley08
24th September 2007, 12:34
dogging?

when you don't like your job - all you have to do is spend two hours down the gym at lunch. it means when you go to work, you are essentially going to the gym with a bit of work before and after- it means your aren't wasting your time - your days are spent getting/staying fit. also, spend your working/desk time engineering the work you do in order to skill yourself up- use the poison project as a vehicle for your own development. then make a move after a few months. you can turn around quite tedious projects like this - and you'll actually enjoy going into "work"

A contract a couple of years ago had an onsite gym - I used to do the 2 hours in there at lunchtime....couldn't be ars3d to do much in the afternoon after it though...