• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Police defend drowning death case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Police defend drowning death case

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/7006412.stm

from BBC..
    Police chiefs have defended two community support officers (PCSOs) who stood by as a 10-year-old boy drowned in a pond.
    Police said these two 'community support officers' weren't trained to deal with the incident.

Something very weird in this story...Most people would have helped - with or without training. Wonder why these two didn't. May be they don't know swimming

So the PCSOs were a pair of gutless wonders. Now there is a surprise. Pathetic. They are there to support the community, but only in situations where they have had relevant training...

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Plastic Policemen

PCSOs probably couldn't swim or felt there was no reason to risk their life at minimum wage.

When they were first proposed, I thought great someone to do paperwork and crowd control at major incidents or MOT roadside inspections. Free up the novice coppers for real work. PCSOs should act as extra bodies and be supervised by a real copper at all times. Now its turning out they are Bobbies on the cheap - typical lying labour devaluing professions to save money.

Interesting no-one has mentioned the folly of letting young children (10 & less) play alone next to a water hazard. Look at the ages, 10,9,9,8,8 hardly competent to supervise each other in a dangerous environment I wouldn't even leave kids that age alone in the house while I popped to the shops. Should be a law against leaving under 13's unsupervised unfortunately there isn't.

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/helpandadvic..._wda35965.html

Not exactly a back garden drowning is it. If the anglers or passing PCSO's had suggested they kids should have been supervised prior to the accident and therefore prevented the accident I bet there would have been a riot and calls of Elf & Safety gone mad.

Unbearably sad though, gutsy kid loses his life saving his sister - poor beggar.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Who here wasn't out playing near rivers at that age?
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Me, I would have my older sister or the Au Pair with us. (No we weren't posh, the Au Pair was considerably cheaper than a nanny and both my parents worked).

I was allowed to go on the common land before that with my siblings but nothing larger than a stream with a trickle of water less than an inch deep.

I wasn't really let out alone till 12 -13. Maybe I missed something? But I also canoed,Climbed,Camped, walked, go-Karted etc with the Scouts many things my mates didn't do.
          Last edited by vetran; 21 September 2007, 16:19. Reason: More info

Comment

Better a live coward than a dead hero

People die trying rescue others..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/3551054.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6921516.stm

Unless you are trained and are a strong swimmer, don't jump in.

I'm a qualified lifesaver and I would think twice before trying it - basic 1st aid states don't risk your life if there's danger.

Hard-nosed but that's life...
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

What a cop out.

I'd rather die trying than to watch some poor young kid drown.

I hope most people would jump in with instinct not have to do a risk assement first !

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                Who here wasn't out playing near rivers at that age?
                I used to play on the railway line embankments up the road from me. The BedPan line it used to be called.

Comment

Very true

I nearly did the same as the second story years ago. We had taken a risk we shouldn't have everyone was tired, campsite close just across the beach with the tide coming in fast etc. Bloody Stupid if you ask me we were very lucky.

Better not to get in the situation in the first place, Mother Nature is a Bitch!

Hence my attitude.

Hopefully though if the situation arose I would be prepared to take the risk to save someone.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    People die trying rescue others..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/3551054.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/6921516.stm

Unless you are trained and are a strong swimmer, don't jump in.

I'm a qualified lifesaver and I would think twice before trying it - basic 1st aid states don't risk your life if there's danger.

Hard-nosed but that's life...
                    Cojak

my respect for the little guy who lost his life is immeasurable. my respect for you is close to zero.
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                    X