• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cyber bullying

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber bullying

What's the issue? Text messages, emails, bullying websites etc. are all relatively easily traced to the offender. Using a mobile phone to bully is surely a criminal offence, under section 43 of the Telecommunications Act, 1984,.

Or there's the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

I was under the impression that bullies thrive on keeping their actions secret.

I'm a bit puzzled.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    What's the issue? Text messages, emails, bullying websites etc. are all relatively easily traced to the offender. Using a mobile phone to bully is surely a criminal offence, under section 43 of the Telecommunications Act, 1984,.

Or there's the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

I was under the impression that bullies thrive on keeping their actions secret.

I'm a bit puzzled.

I have a very pretty daughter, although I say so myself when she was 12 she went to an after school function (school disco or something, its an all girls school), she looked really sweet and really pretty. The next day she was crying, she said she was receiving txt messages from numbers she didn't recognise, when she phoned them no one answered, the text messages were obviously from one or two girls who were green with envy, they were telling her that she looked ugly last night, criticised her hair and clothes, now what do you think she should have done about it? call the police? at least my daughter told me about it and I managed to explain to her that such text can only be sent by someone extremely jealous, I restored her confidences etc, now suppose my daughter didn't tell me anything about these txt messages? I think if it was a child who is less strong or who is actually not that good looking I believe these messages would have affected them for a long time, , unfortunately kids most of the time are too ashamed when they receive such things to discuss with parents, deffo bullying IMO.

Comment

They are easy to trace but as is now common place under New Labour, the police are too busy doing 4 hours paper work for each shoplifter to take this stuff seriously and do anything about it.

A friend of mine recieved an anonymous death threat on his mobile phone. Amazingly (or not) neither Orange or the Police took it seriously, both stating they only trace calls for 'serious issues' and seeing as it could well have only have been an honest citizens life in danger, it wasn't deemed serious enough.
      Last edited by pisces; 22 September 2007, 12:20.

Comment

Heard it said it is easy to track down origins but surely that is only possible with info from the ISP or phone company? Even if you track it to machine, still does not prove who actually used it. Way back I nearly got chucked off an ISP because one of the wife's stupid teacher friends had been posting abusive comments.

PS Anyway, keep your trap shut because I am going to track you down and kill you!!!
        PPS Previous was not intended as a serious comment.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

There's no secrecy involved in bullying. There's very little point unless it's clear who's doing it.

Comment

I never got bullied at school despite being pretty wierd, but ashamed to admit I did it to one bloke. One of those things you look back on in later life and feel really sorry about.

Never knew quite what made a victim, they were never the smallest or the most obviously swatty, geeky or whimpy. Just chance maybe.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              I never got bullied at school despite being pretty wierd, but ashamed to admit I did it to one bloke. One of those things you look back on in later life and feel really sorry about.

Never knew quite what made a victim, they were never the smallest or the most obviously swatty, geeky or whimpy. Just chance maybe.
              Was it Michael Ryan?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

Wrong generation, I'd suspect...
                There I go again... forgetting that I have aged 20 years in the last ... er... 20 years! Not long now until senility, bedwetting and free bus journeys... ooops!... not free anymore... just reduced... I am an old fart... helllppp!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X