• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain tops European crime league

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...6.xml#comments

Britain has one of the worst crime rates in Europe, a report said yesterday.

It is the most burgled country in Europe, has the highest level of assaults and above average rates of car theft, robbery and pickpocketing. Only Ireland has a worse record.

Estonia, Holland and Denmark make up the rest of the EU's five ''high-crime" nations. All had rates more than 30 per cent higher than the average. Spain, Hungary, Portugal and Finland had the lowest rates.
    advertisement

The report follows one of the most comprehensive law and order surveys in the EU. More than 40,000 people aged over 16 were questioned in 18 countries about their recent experiences of crime.

Factors associated with high levels of crime included urbanisation, a large number of young people in the population and a binge-drinking culture.

Risks of being assaulted were highest in the UK, Ireland, the Netherlands, Belgium, Sweden and Denmark and lowest in Italy, Portugal, Hungary, Spain and France.

Experiences with sexual violence were reported most often by women in Ireland, Sweden, Germany and Austria and least often in Hungary, Spain, France and Portugal

One area where Britain came out well was on ''ethical" crime. People were asked whether they had been required to pay bribes to public officials over the past twelve months. Positive answers were given most often in Greece, Poland, Hungary and Estonia and bribe-seeking was least common in Finland, the UK, Sweden, the Netherlands and Ireland.

Rates of 'hate crimes' against minorities were most pronounced in France, Denmark, the UK and the Benelux countries, with the lowest levels in Italy, Portugal, Greece and Austria.

The European Crime and Safety Survey, published in Brussels yesterday, was a joint venture between the United Nations, the European Commission and the Gallup polling organisation.

It suggests that the British public are somewhat inured to high crime and not "over-concerned" about burglary and safety on the streets. We also tend to be happier with the police than people in many other countries.

The British are also much more in favour of prison as a punishment. More than twice as many people think a serial burglar should go to prison than in other countries.

Overall, nearly one third of EU citizens said they were afraid of burglary and did not feel safe on the streets.

The survey found that "common crimes" like burglary and car theft had fallen across the EU, including Britain but this was linked to higher levels of security reflected in increased sales of alarms and special door locks.

The Government said the survey was three years out of date. Tony McNulty, the Home Office Minister, said: "We have concerns about its quality and the comparisons. It does not take account of any recent crime reduction measures to tackle alcohol misuse, the acquisitive crime campaign and tough new measures in the Violent Crime Reduction Act to tackle gun and knife crime."

Robert Manchin, the chairman of Gallup Europe, said it involved "perceptions" of safety and security based on people's actual experience of crime. It did not correlate to recorded crime statistics which were collected differently around the EU.

Nick Clegg, the Liberal Democrat spokesman, said the study exposed Britain as the "sick man of Europe".

David Davis, the shadow home secretary, said: "This shows that, by any measure, we are doing badly. Ten years of failure have left the public more at risk from property crime and violent crime than any other comparable country in Europe."
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

I think Italy must fiddle the figures. I have never had one journey in Italy without being robbed or hijacked . I was even robed twice on the same day in Rome, the seconded time was outside the police station when I went to report the first crime.

Also I found Portugal very bad with protection racketeers openly working on the streets while police turned a blind eye.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The report is about people's perception of crime levels, not real crime statistics. Useless.

Comment

I thought home burglaries were in terminal decline given that there's not much demand for nicked tellies and the like anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          I think Italy must fiddle the figures. I have never had one journey in Italy without being robbed or hijacked . I was even robed twice on the same day in Rome, the seconded time was outside the police station when I went to report the first crime.

Also I found Portugal very bad with protection racketeers openly working on the streets while police turned a blind eye.
          That's probable too. Lots of small crimes in Italy or Rome. But then again serious crime occurrence is much lower. I'd rather have my car stereo stolen several times than being shot. In places where mafia still reigns, you might find out that the risk of crime is very low unless you have the bad luck of accidentally being in the middle of a shootout.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

That's the consolation. Most of these gangs are shooting each other and not the rest of us.

This is great news:-

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ths/article.do
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Yay!

We're number 1! We're number 1! We're number 1!
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                Yay!

We're number 1! We're number 1! We're number 1!
                Been a while since we won something!

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  That's the consolation. Most of these gangs are shooting each other and not the rest of us.

This is great news:-

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...ths/article.do
                  "The influx of Romanian migrants has led to an explosion in crime in this country, it emerged last night.

As recent members of the EU, Romanians have had free access to Britain only since January 1.

Yet in the first six months of this year, police say, they were responsible for 1,080 offences."

What explosion? That must be the average daily number of offences in a place like Peckham alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                    "The influx of Romanian migrants has led to an explosion in crime in this country, it emerged last night.

As recent members of the EU, Romanians have had free access to Britain only since January 1.

Yet in the first six months of this year, police say, they were responsible for 1,080 offences."

What explosion? That must be the average daily number of offences in a place like Peckham alone.
                    You haven't sussed this reading lark yet, have you?

Comment

Working...
                    X