• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there a net calculation i.e. take home pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a net calculation i.e. take home pay

I have recently accepted a contract role and the company recommended using Giant as the umbrella company. Being new to contracting I have simply accepted until I am more familar with the contracting world. I have friends who have used them and said they're ok but have since moved to gain greater benefits.

One frustrating thing is that I cannot be given a calculation on what my take home pay will be come my first 4-weeks pay. That isn't technically correct as I have been given a figure stating my "calculated net income" and also a maximum figure. I am very strict with my finances and like to know what I should be accepting come pay day (give or take a few pounds).

Is it not possible to get a rough calculation with the info I have? This being,

- Contract Rate p/h
    - No. of hours worked a week
    - Business
    - Subsistence value (for claiming food)

I have used the calculator at http://calculator.contractoruk.com/ and I'm using this as a rough starting point. I'm sure it'll make more sense once I get my first monthly salary.

I just find it a little frustrating and to be honest I have used Giant purely for convienience. They are not the greatest at explaining issues, answering questions or getting back to you

If anybody can help me out then it'd be much appreciated. Apologies if this already on a previous post.

Do you need to use an Umbrella? I've never had the need (own Ltd) but I've only ever heard bad things about Giant. Actually, given the language used in your post, you do sound like an Employee and IR35 caught, so I guess you do need to go PAYE.

I do hope you are only claim expenses for those you have actually incurred?

Your Brolly should be able to tell you exactly. If they can't then find another.

Comment

Although you should be able to get an estimate with the information that you have provided, it would not be possible to give an exact figure without the information on your P45. This is a record of your taxable earnings and your tax paid year to date (from April). If your umbrella company has had your P45 they should be able to give you an accurate figure.

HTH
      Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Working...
      X