• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you want to get a job, get a life

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want to get a job, get a life

Computer geeks beware: your days are over. A “charm academy” is being created for IT students in response to employer complaints that too many lack basic social and business skills.

http://timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_an...cle2518124.ece

Originally posted by larry View Post
    Computer geeks beware: your days are over. A “charm academy” is being created for IT students in response to employer complaints that too many lack basic social and business skills.

I'm bored with this stereotyping bollox.
    - I don't know any IT nerds.
    - I'm not that great at multitasking
    - If you want empathic - go somewhere else

'Soft skills' have been taught on any half-way decent CS degree for that last 10 years at least.
    Almost everyone I have worked with over the past few years has been normal.

And I hate the f*kin' IT Crowd.
    +50 Xeno Geek Points
    Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
    As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

T

Originally posted by larry View Post

I too read this, and I am so disappointed that you beat me to it.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I have to agree, I've worked with too many social misfits in my time.

I'd still rather go down the pub with them than most agents tho

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
          And I hate the f*kin' IT Crowd.
          But you resemble Moss when you get angry
          The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
            But you resemble Moss when you get angry
            Bad kitty!
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Pitac

The Times' article is as geekish as its subject, but that is no surprise. What is more true is what was pointed out in a report on Computational Science http://www.nitrd.gov/pitac/reports/20050609_computational/computational.pdf to the US President (the empasis is mine)

The universality of computational science is its intellectual strength. It is
              also its political weakness. Because all research domains benefit from
              computational science but none is solely defined by it, the discipline has
              historically lacked the cohesive, well-organized community of advocates found
              in other disciplines
              . As a result, the United States risks losing its leadership
              and opportunities to more nimble international competitors. We are now at a
              pivotal point, with generation-long consequences for scientific leadership,
              economic competitiveness, and national security if we fail to act with vision
              and commitment. We must undertake a new, large-scale, long-term
              partnership among government, academia, and industry to ensure that the
              United States possesses the computational science expertise and resources to
              assure continuing leadership, prosperity, and security in the 21st century.
              In very few orgnisations is computing science capable of organising itself into a cohesive political body. Instead it is a disorganised set of individuals at the bottom of the food chain often reliant upon crumbs being dropped down from the high table populated by those with MBAs. That is why many of us are in fact geeks, defined on the wiki as

Aperson who has chosen concentration rather than conformity; one who pursues skill (especially technical skill) and imagination, not mainstream social acceptance. Geeks usually have a strong case of neophilia (a love of novelty and new things). Most geeks are adept with computers and treat "hacker" as a term of respect, but not all are hackers themselves — and some who actually are hackers normally call themselves geeks anyway, because they regard "hacker" as a label that should be bestowed by others rather than self-assumed.

A person with a devotion to something in a way that places him or her outside the mainstream. This could be due to the intensity, depth, or subject of their interest. This definition is very broad, and allows for mathematics geeks, engineering geeks, sci-fi geeks, computer geeks, various science geeks, movie and film geeks (cinephile), comics geeks, theatre geeks, history geeks, gamer geeks, music geeks, art geeks, SCA geeks, literature geeks, anime and manga geeks (otaku).
              I suspect future historians will see some form of guild arising out of the current mess that will be capable of organising "the geeks" into some form that wcan yeild political clout within orgainsiations but not for a century or so. We are too down in the dirt enjoying the technology to enage with the rest of the world to achieve what we could achieve if but we stood on the shoulder of the giants with MBAs while wearing very sharp stillettos!

Comment

If I had any friends they'd find this very funny.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The Telegraph have also jumped on the band wagon:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...cigeeks125.xml

Comment

Never worked with a stereo typical 'geek' (star trek fan, poor personal hygiene, can't be near them too long due to the smell) who was actually any good at their job. They thought they were, but they were not. They simply spent all their time on it ('this weekend I installed linux at home/went to my amateur radio club') and weren't any use to anyone.

Contractors need to be good at their jobs to last. Therefore, contractors are not typical geeks. Geeks are always permie, and they should consider themselves lucky to have that.

So this geek bashing is targetted at the wrong forum.

Comment

Working...
                    X