• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

office full of contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

office full of contractors?

Does anyone else work in an office where the vast majority of staff are contractors? the place I'm at, we are in the majority and the "permies" are just people employed as permanent staff thru the agency... fools

Quite a bizarre situation.. wondered if anyone else works in one similar
    The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Originally posted by ookook View Post
    Does anyone else work in an office where the vast majority of staff are contractors? the place I'm at, we are in the majority and the "permies" are just people employed as permanent staff thru the agency... fools

Quite a bizarre situation.. wondered if anyone else works in one similar
    One or two permies around but mostly contractors.

Comment

Well.... every IT bod in my place of work is a contractor... sort of. Too boring to explain fully, but happily, I became a "real" contractor days before everyone else was "forced" (owing to a takeover) to go with a third party service company. So, all previous permies now contractors-ish... and on same wages as before, but with a fairly certain "ta-ra, luv!" in 12 months.

You have to laugh.... well, I did.

Comment

Not any more but at one place in the past, whole dept was contractors. Everyone had a similar mentality to get the work done but avoid any of the other grief associated with working. It worked well, no-one trying to get promotion etc we all knew we were on a good screw and could help each other out to keep it going. Worked a charm for a good few years until the 'out-sourcer' came a-calling.
        Cue 19-yr-old cheap replacements for leavers and an eventual cull of contract numbers, with associated decline in service. I was in a deep rut by then and it was a good thing for me personally to have the change forced on me.

Comment

Vodafone is full of contractors.....
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Including me i have 19 people in my team....3 of which are permie.
            Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

Not me, I'm the only contractor! Get the feeling this company isn't used to contractors and don't really know what to do with me!

Suits me as mostly I can get them to work MY way
              http://www.bluejumper.com

Comment

Current project has 1 permie DBA, 2 1/2 permie developers, 7 contract developers.

Place I worked a couple of years ago had 1 permie, 6 contractors, plus a couple of consultants from Oracle.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Current project is like that. About a dozen contractors, half from big consultancies and half from little ones. 2 or 3 permanent staff, who are the only ones allowed to do prod releases, meaning most of their time is taken up reading other people's documents and running other people's scripts while we do the interesting stuff.

Comment

current gig has 90% contractors ; they're a gov. co. though tightening their purses and mostly not renewing the contractors....

Comment

Working...
                    X