• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's them foreigners again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's them foreigners again

Uncivilised people
    LONDON (AFP) - Foreign students visiting Britain are to be educated in the etiquette of queuing for buses, after local users complained about them not observing the conventions of standing in line.

Southern Vectis, which operates buses on the Isle of Wight, off England's south coast, said it was to contact local language schools following several complaints about the behaviour of young students over the summer months.

"On the Isle of Wight we get lots of foreign language students staying with families," said operations manager March Morgan Huws.

"In their cultures, they do not queue for buses where they live and there is a scrum every time a bus turns up, while in British culture there is a nice orderly queue.

"We have had quite a few complaints from residents who queue up in an orderly fashion then all those foreign students push past them.

"What we have said is that we will work with the language schools to provide some instructions on the etiquette of queuing. We won't be marching the students up and down showing them how to queue, we will just leave it up to the group leaders to pass on the information."

Orderly queuing -- as seen during the recent Northern Rock banking crisis -- is seen as a quintessentially British convention. One social anthropologist believes Britons are even capable of forming one-person queues at bus stops.

But while queue-barging normally leads to tutting, muttered complaints and shuffling to close the gap on anyone looking to barge ahead, most people are too polite to directly confront a transgressor.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

You really have a thing for johnny foreigner.

You should get out more, see the world, meet new people...

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
      Uncivilised people
      That UK queuing protocol: never seems to apply to the senior citizens of this sceptred isle... the queue-jumping, smelling-of-pee, old fecks.

[EDIT] ... and while I'm about it: Why do old, crippled, unimaginably slow old gits always manage to get up from their seats first? Only to spend about 20 minutes creaking down the gangway, incommoding the rest of us who CAN actually get from seat to door in 5 seconds? Pah!

[EDIT #2] ... and why oh why oh why do old ladies always scream when I expose myself to them? It's so annoying.
      Last edited by DBA_bloke; 24 September 2007, 13:36.

Comment

Uncivilised people
        Or alternatively, why not issue instructions on how to "directly confront transgressors"?
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Uncivilised people
          And in London if you have ever tried to queue for a bus you would never actually get on one for all the people joining the queue at the front.

Comment

Queueing

Queueing seems to be a distinctly anglo saxon thing. I am sure anybody who has travelled to Eastern Europe can vouch for that.
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
              Queueing seems to be a distinctly anglo saxon thing. I am sure anybody who has travelled to Eastern Europe can vouch for that.
              I was of a similar mind but was in the US recently and they were at it as well.

Comment

Originally posted by zathras View Post
                And in London if you have ever tried to queue for a bus you would never actually get on one for all the people joining the queue at the front.
                No one queues in London for a bus, native or not. It's been a free-for-all scrum here for years.

Comment

Originally posted by sunnysan View Post
                  Yes, I can. But in Eastern Europe, you don't get 400 drunken chavs with an alcopopped fueled, violent attitude fighting their way onto a solitary bendy bus....you have a frequent bus or tram service through the evening/night where everyone is quite well behaved and only a few people congregate around a bus stop, making the concept of queuing irrelevant.
                  If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                  X