• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it wise to work up to Xmas and then try and get work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it wise to work up to Xmas and then try and get work?

I'am currently in my last month with my current contract. I have been told I will get an extention until up to Christmas but nothing after that. I know this would be the quiet time but I will still be getting paid until the end of January. I have an interview for a role in the South West which I'm confident of getting and this would also take me through till the end of January meaning I would get paid until the end of Feb, however I live just outside Edinburgh and my current contract is 25 mins commute from my house where as I would be living away from home over Xmas and new year.

The contract in the southwest is the same money but I have asked for more which should help with living costs. However the agency have said that is may be unlikely.

Any advice would be appreciated

Originally posted by roadster198 View Post
    I'am currently in my last month with my current contract. I have been told I will get an extention until up to Christmas but nothing after that. I know this would be the quiet time but I will still be getting paid until the end of January. I have an interview for a role in the South West which I'm confident of getting and this would also take me through till the end of January meaning I would get paid until the end of Feb, however I live just outside Edinburgh and my current contract is 25 mins commute from my house where as I would be living away from home over Xmas and new year.

The contract in the southwest is the same money but I have asked for more which should help with living costs. However the agency have said that is may be unlikely.

Any advice would be appreciated
    My advice would be too keep trying up here mate. Markets seems ok at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by Torran View Post
      My advice would be too keep trying up here mate. Markets seems ok at the moment.
      How can you tell him the market seems okay when you don't even know what roles he does?

Comment

Keep looking for something better, either in terms of location, money and / or duration.

My current gig ends end of November, so I'm planning on not working until the end of Jan at the earliest due to quieter times plus my holiday over Christmas.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
          How can you tell him the market seems okay when you don't even know what roles he does?
          Well I went to the market today and it looked OK from my point of view.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
            Well I went to the market today and it looked OK from my point of view.
            Was that a slave trade market?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Keep looking for something better, either in terms of location, money and / or duration.

My current gig ends end of November, so I'm planning on not working until the end of Jan at the earliest due to quieter times plus my holiday over Christmas.

Wish I could do that, I jumped into contracting with no money behind me and it's only now that I could probably survive 2 months with no work.

Comment

Wish I could do that, I jumped into contracting with no money behind me and it's only now that I could probably survive 2 months with no work.
                I didn't say that I could do it, or wanted to! Ideally, I'll work through apart from a couple of weeks at Christmas - if not, I might head off to India again and do some training...
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You can't have been contracting long to only have 2 month's expenses behind you now? Or did you have a heap of debt to pay off?

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                    You can't have been contracting long to only have 2 month's expenses behind you now? Or did you have a heap of debt to pay off?
                    I've been contracting now for over 2 years but got the "Look at all the money I have to spend now bug" resulting in a ton of stuff in my house which I really never use. It's only been in the last 3 months or so that I've sat myself down and reviewed my finances with a view to saving the cash instead of buying that shiny new 50" Plasma that I really don't need debts also have not helped. However I'm starting to turn it round now

Comment

Working...
                    X