• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's it! Boomed again!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's it! Boomed again!

http://ftadviser.com/?m=11173&amid=119880

Summer wash-out spills over into house prices, but 'autumn will be better'
    25th September 2007
    Sharon Flaherty

House prices will survive the wider roll-out of home information packs as well as the recent credit crunch despite a dip in August, estate agents believe.

According to Team Association, the UK-wide network of independent estate agents found that in August the average house price stood at £221,708, down 0.4 per cent from July’s figure.

A spokesman for the network claimed this was a result of the lack of consumer confidence in the economic environment. He said: "Prices nationally have held up fairly well under the current market circumstances, with regards to the current economic uncertainty and the introduction of the second phase of home information packs.

"However, the economic fluctuations are having a tightening effect on consumers’ spending power and with the recent bank changes this is likely to continue. But, the market will soon recover and autumn will be a healthy time providing no further interest rates take place."

Regionally, the price decreases in August compared with July were similar to the national average with the biggest house price drop of 1.96 per cent being recorded in Greater London, bringing the average house price there to £326,171.

The spokesman added: "Regionally, Greater London has taken the biggest price drop, which indicates that interest rates might have finally started to have an impact on this region."

Results from the survey also showed that properties for sale across the UK decreased by 6 per cent in August on July’s figures and down 9.51 per cent when compared with August 2006.
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Francko wake up you are living in a dream world. Barclaycard just reduced the card limit on half a million customer, more will follow. Where will the chavs find the deposit for there house now
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      Francko wake up you are living in a dream world. Barclaycard just reduced the card limit on half a million customer, more will follow. Where will the chavs find the deposit for there house now
      They can do a self-declaration for an income of 120k plus a year even though they are shelves-stackers at tesco. You know how it works. Every year +20% and they'll be rich forever and ever.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
        They can do a self-declaration for an income of 120k plus a year even though they are shelves-stackers at tesco. You know how it works. Every year +20% and they'll be rich forever and ever.
        Are they really that laxed here
        That's why Northern Rock shares have gone down the toilet.

I was contracting with a building society in Dublin. I was going over some requirment with the underwriting dept. and someone came over with some faxed declarations. The reply was "you can throw that in the bin, that's not the person in that company who signs the declaration, fake. This self-declaration need 2 years accounts, and if this guy is using that account then he has no clue. No, no and no."
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          Are they really that laxed here
          That's why Northern Rock shares have gone down the toilet.

I was contracting with a building society in Dublin. I was going over some requirment with the underwriting dept. and someone came over with some faxed declarations. The reply was "you can throw that in the bin, that's not the person in that company who signs the declaration, fake. This self-declaration need 2 years accounts, and if this guy is using that account then he has no clue. No, no and no."

UK is pretty lax, self-certs were 20% of the mortgage market last year and half the those are said to be fraudulent in someway. Looks like the sub-prime mess in the USA is coming to a suburb near you

On the BBC today
          http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7010415.stm

Comment

Estate agents are going to say this to keep the market moving.

The only things you can believe in the current squeeze are impartial...and they're hard to find.

Beginning to wonder if estate agents have a rota to each release a comment on how good the property market is at the moment...

In reality, the property market is stalled...the figures are only starting to come through...once consumer spending drops (as is happening) we're into a recession.

Comment

Franko "According to Team Association, the UK-wide network of independent estate agents" They are looking at their income disappearing for the next 6 months at least, what else are they going to say.
              Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Prices in E2

I know this area better than any other.

Dont know whether its just me but I can get for 250k now what I would have paid £275k 4-6 months ago.

I think prices are dropping IMPO
                There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Originally posted by Hart-floot View Post
                  The Money Programme had a whole programme devoted to this issue, must have been nearly 5 years ago now, and nothing happened then. So I'm not sure why the BBC are presenting this as news.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    The Money Programme had a whole programme devoted to this issue, must have been nearly 5 years ago now, and nothing happened then. So I'm not sure why the BBC are presenting this as news.
                    The market should have gone 5 years ago, but more money in the market from savers in counties like Germany, was lent to chavs in UK. This kept the property high. Credit squeeze will force the market down.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X