• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Apostrophes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apostrophes

Its always a problem importing a text file where there may be the odd apostrophe. I propose a cull of all those whose name or address is apostrophised.

The fact that this will fall hardest on the Jocks and the Paddys is an additional attraction.

Lets do it - abolish the '

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Eh?
    Maybe I need another coupla vodkas then it will make sense. Are you using VBA?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

That takes me back a few years. grrrr

And the people that feel that they need to have house names with an apostrophe in them need a banning too.

I am sure that there is an elegant way of handling these, but I am not a coder.

Comment

In my view, if the import of a text file can't cope with the occasional O'Connor, O'Toole or Hyphenated-Smythe then the programmer of the import routine is at fault.

Sorry, but it's elementary Dear Watson.

{Ducks down and takes cover behind the sofa in anticipation of the flaming that's clearly about to flare}

Comment

Indeed. FFS delimit em with double quotes or such like.
          Sheesh, yoof of today.
          No wonder everyfink is being outsourced, innit?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Half of me agrees. Apostrophised names are just showing off.
            The other half, though, quite enjoys being able to break people's code with them. A quick tip: if you ever have to do UAT, start by entering your name as Andy O'Brien or Norman "Bites yer legs" Hunter, and the devs will leave you alone for at least a week.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              Lets do it - abolish the '
              Let's

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                if you ever have to do UAT, start by entering your name as Andy O'Brien or Norman "Bites yer legs" Hunter, and the devs will leave you alone for at least a week.
                If that's the case, it's a remarkably bad reflection of the standard of today's developers. On the flipside, it's good news for half-competent people like me

Comment

Originally posted by chicane View Post
                  If that's the case, it's a remarkably bad reflection of the standard of today's developers. On the flipside, it's good news for half-competent people like me
                  Indeed. It's amazing how many big websites get upset by a stray ' in a box or even in the url.

Comment

Just can't get the staff these days .
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X