• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big brother thinks you are a liar

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big brother thinks you are a liar

This may be old news but there was a feature on Breakfast this morning. Major councils in the UK are going to roll out telephone lie detectors to identify 'cheats'

So, the local authorities now film you on CCTV, bug your bin, and analyse your phone calls let alone Fine you for putting rubbish in the coloured wrong box
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

And monitor your Internet activity for dissent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
      This may be old news but there was a feature on Breakfast this morning. Major councils in the UK are going to roll out telephone lie detectors to identify 'cheats'

So, the local authorities now film you on CCTV, bug your bin, and analyse your phone calls let alone Fine you for putting rubbish in the coloured wrong box
      It was in last Thursday's Technology Guardian.

The irony is that the politician that was most in favour of this kind of technology was David Blunkett.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I was under the impression our taxes paid their wages, hence we are the customer not the suspect.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

I was under the impression our taxes paid their wages, hence we are the customer not the suspect.
          I think they are only using this on people claiming benefits. As such they are NOT paying the wages.

Comment

This is the problem we have in this country with these infringements of hard fought liberties. As long as it's justified by some noble cause nobody bats an eyelid, it's only several years down the line when the legislation is being used to extract money/incriminate the law abiding that we all of a sudden see it for what it is.

Comment

I think the suggestion is that this is designed to catch those who are committing fraud, or not paying their taxes, therefore not paying the wages.

The technology is used much more in the US, where the idea of taking a polygraph is much more accepted than over here. From what I was reading, the idea is that when you are on the phone to the benefits helpline, a little box appears on the screen which says whether the system has detected things in your voice. From there, if there is anything suspicious, it triggers a manual check - no-one is getting rejected on the technical evidence, it's another way of helping to identify possible benefit fraud.

Next rollout will be to insurance companies - listen to the "your calls may be recorded..." message, which is changing for those that are using the call recordings for stress analysis.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It isn't a polygraph though (no vital signs measurements), it measures the stress in your voice, that leaves it open to error. When people get angry they get stressed, talking to people at councils would have got mother teresa stressed.

Comment

It isn't a polygraph though (no vital signs measurements), it measures the stress in your voice, that leaves it open to error. When people get angry they get stressed, talking to people at councils would have got mother teresa stressed.
                  Yes, just imagine if you'd run out of Special Brew and Lamberts on Wednesday, and you were still on the phone on Friday trying to sort out your next dole payment. High levels of stress indeed.

Comment

Oh god! I always sound guilty even if I am not.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X