• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Experts, eh? What do they know?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Experts, eh? What do they know?

It will be very difficult to prove whether Madeleine McCann is the young girl in a photograph taken in Morocco, a facial recognition expert has warned.

Dr Rob Jenkins, a psychologist at the University of Glasgow, agreed the picture looked "similar" to images of the missing British child.

However, he cautioned that there were thousands of young girls fitting Madeleine's description.
    Okay, maybe so. But just heard on Radio Five Live that an enterprising journo from a Spanish TV channel has gone to the village the child was spotted in with a copy of the photo and asked if anyone there knew who the family snapped was. It being a small place he was quickly shown to the house where they lived and there was the child, clearly not the missing Madeleine McCann.

The moral of the story, applicable to IT contractors as well as missing child cases: Sometimes you can over-analyse a problem.
    I'm Spartacus.

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
    Okay, maybe so. But just heard on Radio Five Live that an enterprising journo from a Spanish TV channel has gone to the village the child was spotted in with a copy of the photo and asked if anyone there knew who the family snapped was. It being a small place he was quickly shown to the house where they lived and there was the child, clearly not the missing Madeleine McCann.

The moral of the story, applicable to IT contractors as well as missing child cases: Sometimes you can over-analyse a problem.
    They won't find the girl until they start looking in the foundations at the nearby building site...

Comment

clearly not the missing Madeleine McCann.
      Or was it????????

Dun Dun Duuuuuuuuuuuun.....

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
        Or was it????????

I bet it was Old Man Withers, the hermit on the hill (aka Chico).
        I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by dotnetter View Post
          Or was it????????

I bet it was Old Man Withers, the hermit on the hill (aka Chico).
          Surely it was you?

Comment

I thought the same thing when I read the "experts" were going to spend weeks analysing the grainy, out of focus photo - why don't they just go back to the village the shot was taken and speak to people there and find the girl?

Maybe I'm not cut out for this IT contractor lark....

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post

Maybe I'm not cut out for this IT contractor lark....
              No you're not. You just cut a good 3 month contract down to a single a day.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

You're presuming that he wouldn't still charge the 3 months for the one day's work.
                Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  Surely it was you?
                  Not quite. He was me.
                  I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge View Post
                    You're presuming that he wouldn't still charge the 3 months for the one day's work.
                    Quite. Us real businessmen (rather than the many permatemps on the board) quote for completing a job within a deadline. The time actually spent is irrelevant to the client.

I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Working...
                    X