• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Betting with credit cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Betting with credit cards

Checking my credit card statement, I noticed a cash handling charge and a cash interest payment. I never take cash out on my credit card, so I questioned it. Apparently, the government has introduced a law that if someone uses a credit card for betting purposes, it is now treated as cash, and the credit card company charges the customer for taking cash out, and charges interest on the cash straight away. Even if it goes via a Paypal account, as it does in my case.

Now I think this is a good idea, as it will deter people from using large amounts of credit for betting. I only bet £1 a week, usually on a 4 horse accumulator, to try and land the "big one". But I didn't know about the new law in advance. I haven't seen anything in the news, and I don't remember having a leaflet about it from the credit card company.

I'm not going to use my Paypal account for this any more. I transfer £10 once every 10 weeks, and as I now have to pay £2.50 handling charge plus interest for the privilege each time, there's no point. I'll take it from my current account instead, as the new law doesn't apply to that.
    Last edited by Moose423956; 27 September 2007, 09:15.

Interesting. Does this apply to all kinds of betting, such as stock-market spread betting?

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
      Interesting. Does this apply to all kinds of betting, such as stock-market spread betting?
      Yes.

Comment

Yep happened a while ago. Ladbrokes sent out an email advising customers and had a section on their site explaining when, why etc. My credit card company included an added line to the small print on my statement...
        Proud owner of +5 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

I got a letter from my credit card company (Nationwide).
          I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
            I got a letter from my credit card company (Nationwide).
            No, I got a letter from my credit card company.

Comment

I probably did as well, but my brain doesn't work any more so I probably ignored it.

Comment

Originally posted by Zorba View Post
                No, I got a letter from my credit card company.
                No, I did.
                I'm Spartacus.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartacus View Post
                  No, I did.
                  Oh yeah. Sorry about that. Got confused for a minute.

Comment

Did I? I'm confused, now.

Comment

Working...
                    X