• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Metadata and ethics

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metadata and ethics

Anyone ever, having received a job spec from an agent, contacted the client to try and go direct by finding out their contact name and details looking at the document's metadata?
    It's about time I changed this sig...

No. Next.

Comment

Got a spec from an agent the other day, he had gone to lots of trouble to remove all references to the client from the document .... but I didn't even have to look in the metadata - just looked at the document properties and the eejit had left the author and company name in there!?!?

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
        Anyone ever, having received a job spec from an agent, contacted the client to try and go direct by finding out their contact name and details looking at the document's metadata?
        No, but I will next time.

It is no more unethical than swatting a mosquito.

Comment

usually i just take the "europe's largest financial retail blah blah" bit at the top, cut n paste into google and it's a direct quote from the companies own website About Us section..

and then yes i contact them direct unless it's came from a trusted known agency i've used in the past.. depends on if they have a Pref Supplier List
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            usually i just take the "europe's largest financial retail blah blah" bit at the top, cut n paste into google and it's a direct quote from the companies own website About Us section..

and then yes i contact them direct unless it's came from a trusted known agency i've used in the past.. depends on if they have a Pref Supplier List

that's my method too, 9/10 times it's cut n pasted word for word
            The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Bypassing the agent (spit) is about as ethical as when the agency creates fake jobs to harvest contractor references to sell in a cheaper body to replace you.

fook em.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                that's my method too, 9/10 times it's cut n pasted word for word
                OK so you can easily get the client but who do you then contact? I have the hiring manager's name...

What do you say if they ask how you learnt about the role being available?
                It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

If you have to ask, you're not cut out for this sort of thing.

Comment

shhhhh!

next!

Comment

Working...
                    X