• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much commission?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much commission?

There is a local (to me) company that I do some smaller project work for along side my normal gigs.

They have had a request from a client that is right up my street, but that they wouldn't really have any involvement with. They have offered to pass the client over to me . They are going to take a % commission, suggesting 10/15% of the total cost of the project.

This seems about right to me, but I want to get a feel of what is standard.

Has anyone else ever worked like this? (I mean apart from normal agency work) If so what commission rate did you pay?

http://www.bluejumper.com

Sounds great

Agencies used to be on margins of 30% in the early days. Nowadays, they can go as low as 10% if they have a long term relationship with a client. If you regard pimps as your sales force, how much is the typical cost of sales and marketing for a company? I reckon it's a lot more than 15%.

Comment

Has anyone done something like this?

Comment

There's no such thing as standard in such a scenario. All that matters is that the financial arrangement you come to is acceptable to both yourself and your client.

Comment

Finders fee

Anything between 10% ans 20% depending upon the amount of work involved and whether you're likely to get future work out of it - it's a finders fee you're talking about.
          35,000 TPD - 28/11/2007, 19:15
          (Special Sportsmanship credit to NickFitz)

Comment

Make sure that your agreement with the finder is written well enough - you don't want to be paying them commission for all the work that you do for the client forever.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Great help.

Cheers

Comment

I've done similar things with other consultancies.

They tend to insist on at least 30% of a cut as otherwise it 'hurts' their overall profit reporting.

i.e. a project they staff internally gives them a 30% profit (once you take into account the convoluted way they work out resource cost). If they give a project to you at 10% comission it would then appear that their overall profitably was only 20% of turnover and this would affect the bosses bonus.

The percentage isn't important the end figure is what matters. If they take 80% but you still earn more than you would do normally then everyone is still a winner, even the end client wins, because even if you don't do the job they'll just put a graduate on the job and he'll do it worse but bill at the same rate.

Comment

Yes, I've done this a few times. 10-15% is fairly reasonable. You should ensure that:
                  - you're specific what whether this is 10-15% of what the client bills, or you receive (sounds silly, but if you bill the client 100, do you pay them 10% and end up with 90? or do you bill the client 110 and pay them 10, so they've received 10% of your net receipts)
                  - expenses are excluded
                  - if you are billing the client direct, and then paying the commission, that you pay out AFTER the client pays out (so, commission on actual revenue rather than projected)
                  - the agreement only covers the initial period of work, so that you aren't bound to the same deal for any extensions/other business
                  Plan A is located just about here.
                  If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
                  X