• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I was looking for a job and then I found a job

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was looking for a job and then I found a job

Three weeks looking, two interviews, then a job offer yesterday. For the first time ever I started to think, 'this is a lorra lorra effort' . I am not sure if I want to put myself through the aggro too many times more

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    Three weeks looking, two interviews, then a job offer yesterday. For the first time ever I started to think, 'this is a lorra lorra effort' . I am not sure if I want to put myself through the aggro too many times more
    You're lucky.

Assuming that my job for next week doesn't disappear, I'll have been 120 days between jobs.

Things were so quite in July/August I stopped looking. In September, 8 expressions of interest, one interview and (fortunately) one offer (though not in a location I am keen to go to). Haven't stopped looking because I still don't have the paperwork, but nothing else has happened since.

Real Time Engineering is completely dead in the UK.

I need to get into something else, but how?

tim

Comment

Similar story here. Three weeks hard hunting and getting knocked back for no clear reason. Start new contract tomorrow.

I can't quite work out where the problem is, but I keep hearing the same story all over the place. There seem to be a fair few jobs (web developer) on Jobserve and I got a lot of calls, but I got a lot of stories from agents about how they were waiting for the client, the client hasn't made a decision... oh, they've decided to take someone internal instead, or someone more local. Was getting really frustrating in the end, especially as you never know if a word the agent says is true or not. I really wouldn't mind being told that I'm asking way too high a rate, or that my CV is rubbish. But this vague stuff about the client not making a decision, or the client changing their mind, doesn't give me any clues about how to improve my chances next time.

As usual, the role I did finally get offered said I was exactly what they were looking for and when can I start? Same job ad as all the others, and same CV put forward.

Patience and determination seem to be the only effective strategies here.

Comment

All the roles I have actually got have come through very quickly with no messing about. They need someone and they need them now, you have what we need, ok lets go. They've all been like that, with the agent chasing me on the phone rather than the other way around.

The ones where the client is apparently still thinking about it are just roles that aren't live. They are either completely made up by the agent, they are the agent getting in cvs for a site where they have heard their 'might be something in the near future' who are trying to beat the competition, or they are at large companies who are changing their minds due to their own internal problems.

I think most of the time it's the agencies - they get a sniff of a potential project and get some cvs in to be first in line if it actually happens.

You just have to apply and apply and apply to it all and assume nothing until you know something.

Comment

10 years on the game

My skills are in the database market (which is obviously mature) with a player whose comparitively niche in the UK, has always been niche but is showing signs of increasing it's market share. I have about as much experience as it is possible to have in this particular skill and have got all of the up-to-date certifications. I attend the user groups and regularly post on the skills forums. Taking these facts in to consideration, I can't see that there's a lot of competition in the UK out there.

I've been on the bench since mid-August, however. What's frustrating is that there seem to me more opportunities than the last time I was on the bench but I'm getting the same response as other posters. The investment banks that I applied to have been advertising since June for this position. In both cases, the roles are advertised through multiple agents so I know they are genuine roles and 1 of the banks has multiple roles. In both cases I've been given the nod that I've been shortlisted for interview but am still waiting for more than 10 days and more than 2 weeks for when the interview date will actually occur. 1 of the roles at 1 IB is a contract role.

I was going to start a contract but it fell through when I told them that I needed a short notice period as I had permie opportunities I was looking at.

A permie role turned up but in the wrong location. I rejected this role, then was told that the location was flexible and I could do it from where I'm based. I applied and they've been trying to sucker me in to moving the base location back to where it was originally advertised. I have 3 other permie opportunities on the go, one of which is almost an exact match for my last contract role - indeed I thought it was the same company just adjusting their location slightly. I've been on the bench for much longer before but this has been due to the lack of opportunities. This time there seem to be many more opportunities but a distinct lack of progress.

Comment

heaven knows you are miserable now

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
            I really wouldn't mind being told that I'm asking way too high a rate, or that my CV is rubbish. But this vague stuff about the client not making a decision, or the client changing their mind, doesn't give me any clues about how to improve my chances next time.
            the agent is not your career coach - he doesnt give a f**k why you didnt get the job - all he thinks is "NEXT"

Comment

I was going to start a contract but it fell through when I told them that I needed a short notice period as I had permie opportunities I was looking at.
              I can sympathise with them there.

tl

Comment

Originally posted by brownie74 View Post
                the agent is not your career coach - he doesnt give a f**k why you didnt get the job - all he thinks is "NEXT"
                That's fair comment, but why waste a load of time making up some complex and long drawn-out excuse if he doesn't give a f**k either way? Why not just say, "sorry, they went for someone else, better luck next time"? (Which some agents do.)

I dunno, obviously I do realise you have to have a hard skin in this game, and I have been doing it for about ten years now, but that doesn't mean that the way agents act makes much sense.

Comment

I have been looking for the last one month. The roles appear to be genuine and my CV gets forwarded atleast that what the agents say, but then no response afterwards.

Comment

good luck to all of those on the bench, hope you find something soon

I am starting to look for a Jan 2008 start, and waiting for conf if this one will end or continue

Is there an IT recesssion coming ?

Who were the most successful contractors in the last IT recession, what are the recession proof skills ?

All the best,

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X