• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone seriously considered being a tramp?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone seriously considered being a tramp?

I mean a tramp as in a homeless person, a dropout from the system. I ask here because contracting has given me some time and some perspective. I don't think I can ever be a permie again, it's all based on such a load of bull. Contracting wears thin also. We all have the choice of never being part of this office life rubbish if we really don't want to, by choosing to live without money, as a bum. Has anyone else seriously considered this?

I got the impression being a tramp is just something that happens to you, a bit like accountancy I suppose, rather than something you actively choose.
    I was a doley for a short while, which is the tramp-lite option. Hated it.

Comment

Obviously I have considered it like I have considered everything.

But that idea got very short shrift. I would rather move back in with Mum and Dad than I would live on the streets.

If you want a less stressful life with nothing to call your own then I think a monestary would be the better option.

hth

Comment

Living on the streets isn't the only option. This university friend of mine has lived in a converted Albion furniture lorry for the last fifteen or so years, moving between France, Spain and Portugal as the spirit (and the availablity of seasonal work) takes him.

Before anybody starts, he's not a pikey, he doesn't live off the state, and he doesn't steal. He's a guy from a normal middle class background, with a normal middle class education, who just decided to find what is, for him, a better way of living.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          Living on the streets isn't the only option. This university friend of mine has lived in a converted Albion furniture lorry for the last fifteen or so years, moving between France, Spain and Portugal as the spirit (and the availablity of seasonal work) takes him.

Before anybody starts, he's not a pikey, he doesn't live off the state, and he doesn't steal. He's a guy from a normal middle class background, with a normal middle class education, who just decided to find what is, for him, a better way of living.
          I did that for a while too. Lived in a transit van with a mattress and wood burner in it and went round a lot of the festivals that were around in the early 90s. I was probably what you'd have called a "crusty" (though I hate Special Brew). And yes, before you ask, I had dreadlocks as well.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

I have thought about travelling up the east coast of Australia, living out of a van for a few months - surfing as I go. Don't think my wife would be so keen though...
            Don't ask Beaker. He's just another muppet.

Comment

Not exactly but I did spend a few months bumming around Europe in yoof. Sleeping in shop doorways and on park benches is pretty uncomfortable. Like all these things, great experience for a limited period if you don't HAVE to do it.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

he's stuck at it!

fair play to him!

15 years is a long time to have diesel dick

Comment

Working...
                X