• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Going to Edinburgh

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to Edinburgh

Going to Ediburgh later this month for 4 days, with the GF, what are the places to see, where are the places to go.

Can I get a train to say, Glasgow.

Is it worth hiring a car for a day or two ?

Thanks !
    SA says;
    Well you looked so stylish I thought you batted for the other camp - thats like the ultimate compliment!

I couldn't imagine you ever having a hair out of place!

n5gooner is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
    (whatever these are)

You should be able to jump on a train to Glasgow if you wish, but personally I'd stay in Edinburgh for the 4 days .

Zoo is pretty good if you like that sort of thing, and the Castle. The shopping is on Princess street for your GF.
    However when I last went with my wife about 5 years ago we weren't that impressed with the shopping, sure Princess St was huge and had loads of shops, but they were all the same and most of the main high street shops actually had a bout 3 stores on it!

We did find some really good pubs on the little back street that runs behind Princess St though.....

Comment

Originally posted by n5gooner View Post
      Going to Ediburgh later this month for 4 days, with the GF, what are the places to see, where are the places to go.

Can I get a train to say, Glasgow.

Is it worth hiring a car for a day or two ?

Thanks !
      no, the trains don't talk.

hiring a car - you could head out towards St Andrews and the coast for a day.

Comment

Give Pitlochrie a whirl. Pretty, atmospheric and, though a tourist destination, surprisingly unspoiled. If the weather's a bit poo, though, then stick to Edinburgh.

Comment

Originally posted by r0bly0ns View Post
          You should be able to jump on a train to Glasgow if you wish, but personally I'd stay in Edinburgh for the 4 days .

Zoo is pretty good if you like that sort of thing, and the Castle. The shopping is on Princess street for your GF.
          However when I last went with my wife about 5 years ago we weren't that impressed with the shopping, sure Princess St was huge and had loads of shops, but they were all the same and most of the main high street shops actually had a bout 3 stores on it!

We did find some really good pubs on the little back street that runs behind Princess St though.....

The zoo is good. Take your GF and watch the penguin march...they come out of their pen and walk round the grass...it is funny to watch.

Lots of good pubs, and when you have a hangover, walk up Salisbury crags to get rid..

Good shopping in Princes Street.

Cream tea in the Balmoral Hotel.
          "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

There's also St James' shopping Mall and the Princes Mall just by Waverley Station. If you go to the North Bridge and go south (away from Princes St) there are lots of little shops down there and if you get a No 33 bus it will take you to the Cameron TOll shopping centre. There are also lots of generic retail parks but these are out-of-town and you would need someone with a knowledge of the area to guide you there

Lots of trains to Glasgow, though there are two destinations there you will want Glasgow Central and not Glasgow Queen St.
            Only hire a car if you want to get out of the city - driving inside the city is a nightmare as a lot of pedestrians seem to want to get you to run them over.
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

If yo hire a car, there are nice little places like Dunbar, Berwick, yellowcraigs (nice wee beach) etc that you can get to.
              "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

There are trains every half an hour from Waverly Station to Glasgow Queen St - which is the better station to exit from as its in front of George Square.

The journey time is 50 minutes - a day return is 11 pounds - also Citylink operate a good bus service, every 15 mins from St Andrews Square at 6.50 return.

Do visit Glasgow Art Gallery over in Kelvinside which has just finished a multi million pound refurbishement - you are then a short walk from the University and Kelvinside - a very impressive area. Take a walk down Byres Road and near there you have the famous Ubiquitous Chip restaurant.

Near the centre of Glasgow you have the Science Museum which is very interesting - as for shopping the centre of Glasgow has much to offer.

Whilst in Edinburgh the main sites are to be seen not so much in Princes Street but the Royal Mile - which leads you to Edinburgh Castle , from there panamoric views abound.

If you are keen on walking try to walk up the hill overlooking the city - Arthurs Seat - its appox 2 hours walk and well worth the while.

Walking down from their to the mound (on Princess Street) you have two art galleries one of which is holding an exhibition of Blakes paintings and another Andy Warhol - the Blake exhibition is free - but not Warhols - what price art ?

Near the castle on Royal Mile they run tours of haunted Edinburgh - if ghouls ands spooks are your thing - altough many visitors have been scared out of their wits by things which go bump in the night.

I think the forecast for Edinburgh is to heat up to 18degrees by Friday - I was there yesterday as it was sunny enough to warrant a trip to Edinburghs Beach - Portobello - take the number 26 bus (30 mins and 1 pound each way)from Princess Street.

Also Peebbles (about 45 mins on the bus from Edinburgh) is a great place for a day trip - very pretty rivers and forests - Bill Wyman (of the Rolling Stones) is holding a Photo exhibition there.

As for hring cars in Edinburgh - not a good idea due to the massive parking restrictions - you will find its a pleasant city to walk around - plenty of buses and taxis to take you to your destination.
                Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 1 October 2007, 12:36.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
                  Give Pitlochrie a whirl. Pretty, atmospheric and, though a tourist destination, surprisingly unspoiled. If the weather's a bit poo, though, then stick to Edinburgh.
                  Aye Pitlochrie - I worked at the Festival Theatre as a gardener during my Student Days - I remember a great walk to Ben Verackie - and many a lovely time admiring the sunset at the Queens View !

Comment

For shopping would certainly recommend Glasgow over Edinburgh - otherwise Edinburgh is excellent - pubs, bars, architecture, walking, drinking, restaurants ...

Comment

Working...
                    X