• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is IT Support dead?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is IT Support dead?

Hi all,

I've been having a good old look through past posts in an effort to get a better understanding of working for myself within my newly formed Ltd company. One thing I have picked up on, from past posts, is that "IT support is dead" - I note that lukemg has been the strongest in voicing his opinion on IT Support being dead.

Is IT support really dead? What do you define IT Support as?

Cheers
    dr_beat (dumb support monkey)

Changing tapes. Installing Windows. Sweeping up in the server room.

It's dead because there is no skill involved in support any more.
    Cats are evil.

Comment

I'm still alive... just.

It’s not dead but outside of the public sector (which is renowned for being behind the times) it does look pretty grim.

Gj looking out of his public sector window onto the big scary world outside.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

move to India and the IT Support sector is BOOMing
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

weird.. and then 10 secs later i receive an email from H Eh? s

"Infrastructure 2nd lIne Support Engineer
          Northwich, Cheshire
          £17-18 per/hour
          1 month rolling contract

My client is seeking a Infrastructure Engineer for a 1 month rolling contract
          (possibility of 3 months of work). I am looking for somebody who has excellent
          1st and 2nd line support experience preferably in a customer facing
          environment as you will be needing to manage the helpdesk as well as resolve
          calls. The successful candidate will have demonstrable experience working in a
          Microsoft 2000/2003 environment, as well as having good knowledge of AD and
          Exchange. If you possess experience of Networking Services ie: TCP/IP, and
          thin client technologies as well as the infrastructure support. My client
          wants somebody who has experience of working close with the business as well
          as the technical ability of supporting a 200 user based environment.

If anybody has telephony experience in particular ACD skills, or anybody with
          an understanding of PRINCE 2 methodology will be appreciated fully."

£18? p/h
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
            move to India and the IT Support sector is BOOMing
            Imagine how I could live in India on 60k PA?? I'd be like a millionaire... I'll pack my bags when I get home.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post
              Changing tapes. Installing Windows. Sweeping up in the server room.

It's dead because there is no skill involved in support any more.
              I'm not surprised you think it's dead; changing tapes is usually done by admin pen pushers, imaging replaced fresh installations years ago and sweeping in a server room increases the risk of electro static discharge

Comment

Originally posted by dr_beat View Post
                Hi all,

I've been having a good old look through past posts in an effort to get a better understanding of working for myself within my newly formed Ltd company. One thing I have picked up on, from past posts, is that "IT support is dead" - I note that lukemg has been the strongest in voicing his opinion on IT Support being dead.

Is IT support really dead? What do you define IT Support as?

Cheers
                I don't think IT support will ever be dead as long as people use IT. No problems from me although I left my last gig to come back to a previous client who asked me back until the end of the year so there wasn't any looking involved.

I don't anticipate any problems then either. IMO there will always be a need for on-site support.
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

"It's dead because there is no skill involved in support any more."

I don't agree. To be good at support involves quite a lot of skill. To be ok at it doesn't. That's the problem.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    How do they clean the chimneys if they can't sweep them then?
                    Never seen or heard of a Chimney being damaged by ESD - so I would say that as long as it's made of brick then they should be fine. However, I would advise against the use of metal ladders if chimney cleaning during a thunder storm - wooden ladders would be safer.

HTH

Comment

Working...
                    X