• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you going to a clients Christmas Party?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you going to a clients Christmas Party?

As Christmas approaches companies are starting to organise Christmas Parties.

This is my first Christmas as a contractor and I'm not sure what to do if invited! If you are invited and going it could be seen as being treated as an employee and not good for IR35 status.

However companies often invite clients to Christmas parties to improve relations, but these aren't generally the company Christmas parties?

Firstly are you invited?

Secondly will you be going?
    http://www.bluejumper.com

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I can't think of a better excuse not to go...

<ZeitGhost in "avoiding all works Xmas parties since 1983 mode">
    The injunction is still in force then?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

I'm invited

I'll be going

I don't think that it is a particularly important IR35 status indicator. However, you might, for your own peace of mind, send a little email to whoever invites you asking them to confirm whether contractors and others who are not employees are invited. As long as they say yes (I'm sure they will), then you have evidence that they accept that you are not an employee.
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

I did it once for a lunchtime do.

Don't want to spend any more time with client staff than I have to.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I went to one my first year. Good it was too. It started Friday lunctime, and I didn't charge for the afternoon so the client would have saved money overall by inviting me. For my part I lost half a day's income, had to hire a tux and get a hotel room, so it was the most expensive free party I've ever attended.

Should I have charged?

Second time around I'd just started the gig and it had already been booked so I just took the day off. I think they would have invited me.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'll be going to a little contractor's do at our local Wetherspoons.

Turkey Dinner, Xmas pud and a glass of wine for £6.99

Yum!

(Of course MyCo do will involve £70+ per head plus a v. nice burgundy.... )
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

<ZeitGhost in "avoiding all works Xmas parties since 1983 mode">
              me too. lord i hate those things almost as much as new years eve. bah humbug!

i made sure i avoided the department do and the alternative department do last year. bah humbug!

i was not allowed to attend the company do (thank goodness) bah humbug!

actally i did go to the team xmas lunch do though - kinda difficult to turn that one down without appearing a complete arse. 'twas ok i suppose but i went back to the office to get my hours in even though everyone else left. bah humbug!

Comment

I'm trying to organise ours!!

This IR35 is a load of sh*te man - get yourslf away oot!
                The pope is a tard.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyAnne View Post
                  I'm trying to organise ours!!
                  What ever happened to the CUK meet up for a drink ?
                  Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

we have our annual bash in a marquee on the lawns outside of the offices.
                    Bring a bottle and no heating usually means I dont have to stock up on booze for christmas
                    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                    X