• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's our heritage, see, lovely boy...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's our heritage, see, lovely boy...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_east/7021788.stm

Fecking coal tip... these people need to get a life...

Good grief. If we all manage to get to a point where we recycle 100% will we see landfill sites designated as heritage sites?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Wait until the fecker slides over a school...

Still, mustn't grumble, it's nimby!

Comment

Funnily enough I grew up near there.

I'm glad it's staying. It's a very visible symbol of the history behind the community and it still stirs emotions not only because of the hardship caused by the end of the industry, but also because of the numerous accidents and in particular the Gresford mining disaster.

But I guess if you didn't grow up there then you would be ignorant of its history and the surrounding community.

Comment

This is a grim little list....

http://www.welshcoalmines.co.uk/DisastersList.htm

The Universal Pit in Senghenydd was the worst...

Comment

Ah! All becomes clear: "The report said it could take between seven and nine years to clear the spoil." Nice one, boyo! Keep the friggin' mess and call it heritage!

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
              Ah! All becomes clear: "The report said it could take between seven and nine years to clear the spoil." Nice one, boyo! Keep the friggin' mess and call it heritage!
              It's actually quite a neat pile.

And yes, it is an historical symbol so I don't see what everyone's problem is with it to be honest. If you grew up there you'd know what it represents.

Comment

There are similar China Clay tips (known as the "Cornish Alps") in the St Austell area in Cornwall. They are also seen as a reminder of the mining days, although they were open pits, so I'm sure there was nowhere near as much hardship as in the coal mines.

It would be a real shame if they were removed, as they're a local landmark, so I can understand why the Welsh want to keep theirs.

Comment

Such a shame

I won't be able to see the tip and it's obvious heritage quality. Could it not be moved to the British museum for a month, so that us townies get a glimpse at Wales's past glory?

Comment

Originally posted by M_B View Post
                    It's actually quite a neat pile.

And yes, it is an historical symbol so I don't see what everyone's problem is with it to be honest. If you grew up there you'd know what it represents.
                    It's a big pile of old crap. It represents nothing more than ... er ... a big pile of old crap.

Comment

Working...
                    X