• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

All your bank details are belong to us

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All your bank details are belong to us

This seems to have been smuggled into the "Consultation on the Removal of Barriers to the Sharing of Non-Consensual Credit Data" document from the DTI last year.

There are plans afoot to change the law so that banks can help over-indebtedness by sharing all your bank account details without your permission.

More info here and there is an online petition to sign up to here.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    This seems to have been smuggled into the "Consultation on the Removal of Barriers to the Sharing of Non-Consensual Credit Data" document from the DTI last year.

There are plans afoot to change the law so that banks can help over-indebtedness by sharing all your bank account details without your permission.

More info here and there is an online petition to sign up to here.

Online petitions: faux democracy at it's best. Still, it's cheaper than constructing wide boulevards to stop the great unwashed from disrupting traffic.

Comment

Affects 33 million accounts that they don't already share data on (details on 350 million are currently shared via credit reference agencies).

Doesn't affect me as all of my accounts were opened after 1990 (when I was 15), but I can't see what the problem is really.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
        I can't see what the problem is really.
        Breaches article 8 of the European Human Rights Treaty - the right to privacy.

It also gives the government an indication of how quickly they can erode what little civil liberties remain - OK, this only impacts 10% of the accounts, so the next thing we'll go is only monitor 10% of the phone calls, and from there we can argue that it's not fair to only monitor part of them etc. etc.
        Last edited by TheFaQQer; 3 October 2007, 13:31. Reason: Corrected quote tag
        Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Breaches article 8 of the European Human Rights Treaty - the right to privacy.

It also gives the government an indication of how quickly they can erode what little civil liberties remain - OK, this only impacts 10% of the accounts, so the next thing we'll go is only monitor 10% of the phone calls, and from there we can argue that it's not fair to only monitor part of them etc. etc.
          But if you opened an account after 1990 (approx 90% of accounts), you're already giving them all the information they want anyway - so your argument is moot.

Folk who've read me rant previously know I value my privacy over a good many things, but I think this is just another (poorly executed, heart in the right place) snipe at the government.

There are a lot more insidious things going on that breach our privacy in more detrimental ways. Given there are a finite number of people to fight on these things, perhaps resources could be directed somewhere else (no2id perhaps?).
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Affects 33 million accounts that they don't already share data on (details on 350 million are currently shared via credit reference agencies).

Doesn't affect me as all of my accounts were opened after 1990 (when I was 15), but I can't see what the problem is really.
            It will allow criminals to efficiently target accounts with loads dosh.

Comment

Originally posted by Addanc View Post
              It will allow criminals to efficiently target accounts with loads dosh.
              Please explain how this will work?

Comment

But if you opened an account after 1990 (approx 90% of accounts), you're already giving them all the information they want anyway - so your argument is moot.
                No - anyone who opened an account after 1990 is giving them all the information they want. Anyone who opened an account before that is not. So, this may not impact you, there are plenty of people out there who is does impact. Up ladder, Jack, you're already doing it.

It's not a swipe at the government per se, it's a swipe at anything that encourages information that people have assumed would be confidential (and were told would be confidential) being changed to not being confidential. There is a right to privacy, and this would undoubtedly breach it - the consultation paper asks

Do you consider that legislation to permit the sharing of non-consensual data would breach the Article 8 ECHR rights (right to privacy) of consumers? Do you consider that any breach would apply to all consumers, only to consumers who were not at risk of being over-indebted, or only to non credit active consumers?
                So, it might only be a breach of the right to privacy of some of the account holders. That's OK then, since it doesn't impact me as I'm not over-indebted.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Please explain how this will work?

select user_details from badly.secured.database.of.bank.accounts where balance > loads_of_dosh;

alternatively the government would probably save them lots of work

select * from database.shared.with.american.mafia.to.fight.war.o n.terror where balance > loads_of_dosh;

Scratch that, this last one they already do, something to do with flight plans

HTH

Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded View Post
                    select user_details from badly.secured.database.of.bank.accounts where balance > loads_of_dosh;

alternatively the government would probably save them lots of work

select * from database.shared.with.american.mafia.to.fight.war.o n.terror where balance > loads_of_dosh;

Scratch that, this last one they already do, something to do with flight plans

HTH

And this is different from the 90% of credit details already exposed to experian et al how?

Comment

Working...
                    X