• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gordon makes £6.4bn from soaring house prices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gordon makes £6.4bn from soaring house prices

http://money.guardian.co.uk/news_/st...181862,00.html

Homebuyers contributed a record £6.4bn in stamp duty to government coffers last year, according to figures from Halifax.

Revenues from this tax were 40% more than in 2005-2006, as soaring property prices have seen the number of buyers paying it rise dramatically.

About £5.1bn came from tax on homes worth more than £250,000, more than triple the £1.6bn paid five years ago, as rising house prices pushed more homes into the higher bands.

I can see why Labour are keen to keep this bubble growing at all costs. The tax take is incredible, and getting bigger every day.
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Big government is the future. How can you be expected to know what you should spend your money on?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Why do you think lenders link Northin Rock were able to operate with such high risk operating methods? So high risk that perhaps not even in the US would they have been allowed to operate. Its now pie in the face time for Gordon..even though everyone is blaming BoE.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

More than enough money

He could replace his glass eye with a polished diamond for that kind of money.

I've binned my 3rd electoral roll form. I expect the nice young chap will come around soon to ensure I sign up.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          Why do you think lenders link Northin Rock were able to operate with such high risk operating methods? So high risk that perhaps not even in the US would they have been allowed to operate. Its now pie in the face time for Gordon..even though everyone is blaming BoE.
          Not sure the NR's methods were high risk. Sensitive to banks not willing to lend dosh to each other, yes, but that's a very rare phenomenon. I think... what are you asking me for? ... how the hell should I know? ... stop bothering me!

Comment

Working...
          X