• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New to contracting, need advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to contracting, need advice

Hi all,
    I need a some of advice about contract work and daily rates. I've not done contract work before, I generally work on a job by job basis so this is new to me. I've got the opportunity to go for a contract position setting up a web department at a company. I would be managing and developing sites for them working with PHP/mySQL, xhtml/css, Flash AS, domains/hosting and various other bits and pieces, I have 7 years experience in this field. I'd be working onsite 3 days a week and it's likely to develop into an ongoing arrangement. The position is based in Birmingham.

I've been working as a sole trader for a couple of years now but I don't have any contracts/terms in place for this type of job. Where do I start? where can I get a contract written up? Also any suggestions of daily rates for this type of position would be very helpful.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

Welcome to the board sonar and Good Luck

Not my area so I can't give any advise, have a search in some of the threads you may find it's been asked before.
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply,
      I'm currently working my way through the boards and the info on the site. Loads of useful stuff.

I'm not sure if this would have been better in the Business / Contracts section?

Comment

Hi, thanks for the reply
        I'm currently working my way through the boards and the info on the site. Loads of useful stuff.

I'm not sure if this would have been better in the Business/Contracts section?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          The Business forum is the place to ask this... the signal to noise ratio is rather better than General...
          i.e you'll get actual answers on there rather than the drivel and piss taking found in here...
          The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Get yourself either a limited company or join an umbrella (which I wouldn't recommend). Join the PCG - they have sample contracts that you can use.

Best of luck.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by sonar View Post
              Hi all,
              I need a some of advice about contract work and daily rates. I've not done contract work before, I generally work on a job by job basis so this is new to me. I've got the opportunity to go for a contract position setting up a web department at a company. I would be managing and developing sites for them working with PHP/mySQL, xhtml/css, Flash AS, domains/hosting and various other bits and pieces, I have 7 years experience in this field. I'd be working onsite 3 days a week and it's likely to develop into an ongoing arrangement. The position is based in Birmingham.

I've been working as a sole trader for a couple of years now but I don't have any contracts/terms in place for this type of job. Where do I start? where can I get a contract written up? Also any suggestions of daily rates for this type of position would be very helpful.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
              Thanks
              Welcome.

I can recommend a good umbrella company. Or is that an oxymoron?

Comment

Thanks for the replies,
                My posts don't seem to be showing up. Can you tell I'm new here.

Yeah I realised after I posted that it was probably the wrong section.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
                  i.e you'll get actual answers on there rather than the drivel and piss taking found in here...
                  A little optimistic, I'd say.

Comment

<sensible mode> Welcome to the site sonar.

I'd start with searching the board here for similar questions asked, then have a look at what PCG have to offer. If you want to start out properly, look at getting yourself a good accountant - some accountancy firms post on here and you'll find recommendations.

They can do everything from setting up your company to managing your payroll, and should be considered your best friends in this game.

If you don't want the hassle, try an umbrella - you'll be taxed at PAYE rates so make sure your rate is high enough to cover it.

You can get advice on contracts from the PCG and solicitors' firms - some mentioned on this site.

Good luck and report back with any other Qs. </sensible mode>

Woo! Look! A newbie! (point)

Comment

Working...
                    X