• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daughter's shock as parents' £1.5m farm is left to the RSPCA

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daughter's shock as parents' £1.5m farm is left to the RSPCA

As an only child Christine Gill sacrificed more than most to help her frail parents run the sprawling £1.5 million farm she knew as home.

She gave up on a career as a university lecturer and even moved into a house a stone's throw away to care for the couple as they entered old age.

It was only natural then that the 56-year-old assumed the farm would eventually be left in her capable hands to pass down through generations of her family.

But in a dramatic final twist that came without explanation her parents decided that, on the death of the sole survivor, she would get nothing.

Omitting her from the will for no apparent reason they chose instead to leave the farm to the RSPCA.

read in full..

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...PCA/article.do

Who can blame them?

Otherwise it would have gone in Inheritance tax.

I'm having all my wealth burned on my death rather than let Labour have it.
    Last edited by ferret; 4 October 2007, 21:25. Reason: Naughty words

Comment

I can hear DAs footsteps approach....

Comment

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
        Who can blame them?

Otherwise it would have gone in Inheritance tax.

I'm having all my wealth burned on my death rather than let Labour have it.
        Don't forget to invite your local tax inspector.
        +50 Xeno Geek Points
        Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
        As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

It's up to the parents what they do with the estate - anything that anyone gets should be seen as a bonus, rather than an expected right.

An old boy in my parents village died recently, and didn't leave much to his family. But he did leave his house (£700k+) to his cleaner, £10k to the church (despite never going), and the biggest single legacy to the RNIB ever.

I've told my parents to go out and spend their money while they can - I'm sure it would be nice to get something when they die, but I'd rather they enjoyed themselves now rather than hoarded the cash so that they could leave something to the children.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I've told my parents to go out and spend their money while they can - I'm sure it would be nice to get something when they die, but I'd rather they enjoyed themselves now rather than hoarded the cash so that they could leave something to the children.
            Quite right too. What's the point of working hard all your life and not enjoying the proceeds? If you've got anything left leave it to those more in need than your kids.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

My wife & I have a leaving everything to the other Will. When we are both brown bread, all goes to the RSPB.

Comment

Originally posted by Lambros View Post
                As an only child Christine Gill sacrificed more than most to help her frail parents run the sprawling £1.5 million farm she knew as home.

She gave up on a career as a university lecturer and even moved into a house a stone's throw away to care for the couple as they entered old age.

It was only natural then that the 56-year-old assumed the farm would eventually be left in her capable hands to pass down through generations of her family.

But in a dramatic final twist that came without explanation her parents decided that, on the death of the sole survivor, she would get nothing.

Omitting her from the will for no apparent reason they chose instead to leave the farm to the RSPCA.

read in full..

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/a...PCA/article.do

It is a sad story that reflects some old fashioned attitudes of human beings. It is not really a story from which we can draw conclusions as to the merits or demerits of inheritance tax. On the face of the story it is clear that the parents expected their daughter to look after them in their old age, and that in turn they had done her a huge favour by allowing her to live her life on their farm. They therefore felt no further obligation to their daughter once they had died. Had she been male it is quite likely that their views would have been different.

The daughter wrongly assumed that in a modern world the parents were extremely lucky to have her staying at home instead of taking up a career as an IT contractor under the bright lights of London, leaving them to fend for themselves in their old age.

What is sad is that there was no communication between the daughter and her parents on thie matter of inheritance and she is now left high and dry. At least if the laws were that all inheritance would go to HMgovt then at least she would have been better prepared for her parents death.

by the way Lambros, who gets your takeaway when you die and go to that great Kebab house in the sky? George Bush?
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Totally agree and I incorporate this into my retirement planning, why do I need to slog my guts out (ok, turn up) until I am 70 and die with half a mill in assets ? pack in at 55, Liquidate if required and spend. Always likely to be a good sum to pass on anyway
                  Told my mum to do the same but she is used to living comfortably and with few fixed costs has little chance of spending the 50k which is being added to her estate each year through various routes.
                  I could maybe do with a new car she says, now we are talking thinks I wondering which BMW or Merc she might like - she continues - a friend has just bought a Kia Cee'd and it's really nice !

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    Totally agree and I incorporate this into my retirement planning, why do I need to slog my guts out (ok, turn up) until I am 70 and die with half a mill in assets ? pack in at 55, Liquidate if required and spend. Always likely to be a good sum to pass on anyway
                    Told my mum to do the same but she is used to living comfortably and with few fixed costs has little chance of spending the 50k which is being added to her estate each year through various routes.
                    I could maybe do with a new car she says, now we are talking thinks I wondering which BMW or Merc she might like - she continues - a friend has just bought a Kia Cee'd and it's really nice !
                    Get her the Kia before dementia sets in and she changes her mind and asks for a Mondeo

Comment

Working...
                    X