• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Houses now 5 times income

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houses now 5 times income

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7029135.stm

The income first-time buyers need to get on the housing ladder has reached unprecedented levels, a report says.

Research for the housing data company Hometrack shows the ratio of house price to income has nearly doubled in the past decade.

An average house in Britain now costs more than five times the average first-time buyer's income.

Still, cheap as chips and with a massive cut in interest rates on the cards, affordable for years to come.

I'm thinking of buying another 2 or 3 when they are a bit more expensive.

Five times my meagre income would allow me at 5x to buy a house of £120,000..which can't even buy a three bed semi in these parts.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Look on the positive side

A 2-bed semi in Shanghai would cost about £250k at the moment. You're better able to compete with the Chinese than us Londoners. 2-bed semi round my way would cost upwards of £500k.

Comment

The commute is a bit of a fooker though. A cheap house but sh1t loads on air fare.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

My house is worth about 50x my salary. These young kids ought to think themselves bloody lucky!
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Working...
          X