• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Re-invest your dividends

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-invest your dividends

Just got this e-mailed from fool.co.uk

Dividends make a huge difference. Here’s another example from Barclays. If your grandfather had bought £100 in shares in 1899, and the dividends received had been re-invested in more shares, the pot would now be worth £25,022 adjusted for inflation. But without dividends, that original £100 investment would now only be worth just £213 in real terms.

Last bit doesn't sound right to me. Am I missing something?

Originally posted by RightLaugh View Post

Dividends make a huge difference..... Am I missing something?
    Yes - the grandfather

Comment

Dividends make a huge difference. Here’s another example from Barclays. If your grandfather had bought £100 in shares in 1899, and the dividends received had been re-invested in more shares, the pot would now be worth £25,022 adjusted for inflation. But without dividends, that original £100 investment would now only be worth just £213 in real terms.

You're finding Compounding, Confounding that's Astounding

I'll get me coat
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Aye, the number e is amazing.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

If your grandfather had bought £100 in shares in 1899, and the dividends received had been re-invested in more shares, the pot would now be worth £25,022 adjusted for inflation. But without dividends, that original £100 investment would now only be worth just £213 in real terms.

If my Grandfather had brought £100 in shares in 1899 it would have been something of a miracle, since he wasn't born until 1920.

Does depend on the market that you are in though, they like their dividends in the UK, this is not true in every country. In others it is more common to reinvest profits in the business and the dividends can be a rarity.

Comment

Not my area of expertise but i would say you are forgetting Inflation

To have the same purchasing power of £100 in 1899 you would need about £8500 in 2007

So while that £100 worth of shares would be aprox £17000 now, in real terms the purchasing power has only doubled.

Comment

What if the bloke had bought a dozen BTL properties instead and then continued to buy more on the back of the income he had received in rents?

Comment

No it's correct. It's simply implying that compound interest works its wonders over a long period of time.

And of course the figure is adjusted for inflation so.

The Motley Fool is only for fools though, i.e. those that have no financial savvy at all. A place for everything though eh.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                  The Motley Fool is only for fools though, i.e. those that have no financial savvy at all. A place for everything though eh.
                  That's a bit harsh, some very clever people post on that site. Sounds like you're confusing it with moneysaving expert
                  The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

£100 in 1899 was a fair whack, I presume.

Comment

Working...
                    X