• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What should I do with my money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do with my money?

Hello all,

New to this forum and need some general advice from you all rich kids out there.

So, I'm an IT contractor. I've been doing it for nearly 2 years now, with no break in contracts, and I'm loaded! Plus, it looks like I'll have this contract for the next few years too so I will continue to build up my loadedness.

I intend to buy a house next year (buying with my lovely fiancee but waiting for him to get his finances ready first) so that's out for the moment. I don't want a car as where I live means I don't need one. And I'm too young for a midlife crisis so I won't be buying a motorcycle anytime soon either!

So what should I spend my money on? I've been a bit reckless already with the money, but I reckon now I should at least get a pension or something Maybe invest in stocks?

Sensible answers only please! (yes, really)

Originally posted by maui50 View Post
    fiancee...him
    fiancé

(If it had been "her", it would be fiancée.)

Originally posted by maui50 View Post
    Sensible answers only please! (yes, really)
    You are new here

I personally have no useful advice to offer you about money (I'm just about to spend most of mine repairing an eighteen year old car that broke down in the outside lane of a contraflow on the M1 last Friday); but anyway, Welcome to this very odd place
    Last edited by NickFitz; 8 October 2007, 02:07. Reason: Explaining why I'm not the person to ask about money

Comment

Put it in a high interest account and forget it.

One day, there will be a rainy day...

Comment

Spend it, but show us your tits first! (it is traditional to ask all new girlies to fet em out).

Get rid of your fella and blow the lot on a world cruise.
        I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
        Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
          Spend it, but show us your tits first! (it is traditional to ask all new girlies to fet em out).

Get rid of your fella and blow the lot on a world cruise.
          I'd piss myself laughing if maui50 is a bloke!!!

But hey LG, what ever floats your boat...

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            I'd piss myself laughing if maui50 is a bloke!!!

But hey LG, what ever floats your boat...
            Read the original post matey
            (buying with my lovely fiancee but waiting for him to get his finances ready first)
            Ahhhh wait a minute, this could be a gay relationship i suppose????

Oh tulip what have I done?
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman View Post
              Read the original post matey

Ahhhh wait a minute, this could be a gay relationship i suppose????

Oh tulip what have I done?
              Not sure what you have let yourself in for now but there is a chance you could see a flash of Boobs or Moobs.
              Thats the way the cookie crumbles

Comment

"What should I do with my money?"

Give it all to me. PM me. I'll spend the lot, mind.

Comment

Sensible answer.....

The economy is looking rocky for the next couple of years. I would suggest shares are not the best option. Locking it up in a pension isn't really flexible enough for a contractor.

Banks are looking for liquidity - savings rates are on the up. You'll get really good returns on a decent savings account or fixed term bond.

When the time comes for the house - put as much in as you can. The times of highly leveraged purchases are over - when you have money, pay off as much as you can off the mortgage.

When your house is yours, your disposable income will almost double - then it's time to have fun!!

non sensible answer.....

give it to me for my Aston Martin.
                  Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Originally posted by Bear View Post

non sensible answer.....

give it to me for my Aston Martin.
                    Feck off! I got first dibs!

Comment

Working...
                    X