• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pre-Budget Report 9th October - Post-Arctic Legislation?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pre-Budget Report 9th October - Post-Arctic Legislation?

THE PBR has been brought forward to tomorrow during which a number of commentators are suggesting that there will be some new legislation or perhaps a period of "consultation" to plug the Arctic Systems hole.

IANAL but if you run your own limited company, have some non-distributed or retained profits or could declare a dividend, and you are married with your spouse not generating income for yourco but holding shares in yourco and your spouse pays tax at a lower rate that you would on income you might want to consider declaring and paying a dividend before tomorrow. Although legislation is perhaps unlikely to be announced tomorrow it is possible that any future legislation might be backdated to 9th Oct 2007 if announced in the PBR.

Naturally what you do is dependent on your own personal tax and company circumstances and you should consult your accountant before taking any action but personally I've decided to take what I consider to be the low-risk option and clear out profits to date before tomorrow. This posting should not be treated or considered as investment advice.
    Last edited by boxman; 8 October 2007, 07:10.

Originally posted by boxman View Post
    THE PBR has been brought forward to tomorrow during which a number of commentators are suggesting that there will be some new legislation or perhaps a period of "consultation" to plug the Arctic Systems hole.

IANAL but if you run your own limited company, have some non-distributed or retained profits or could declare a dividend, and you are married with your spouse not generating income for yourco but holding shares in yourco and your spouse pays tax at a lower rate that you would on income you might want to consider declaring and paying a dividend before tomorrow. Although legislation is perhaps unlikely to be announced tomorrow it is possible that any future legislation might be backdated to 9th Oct 2007 if announced in the PBR.

Naturally what you do is dependent on your own personal tax and company circumstances and you should consult your accountant before taking any action but personally I've decided to take what I consider to be the low-risk option and clear out profits to date before tomorrow. This posting should not be treated or considered as investment advice.
    Lets hope that in their election rush they forgot all about it

Comment

I for one am not looking forward to tomorrow's PBR.

S660 mk2 is a given.

But what concerns me is the new and mysterious term "Personal Service Company" which this government has started to use. I fear IR35 mk2 is round the corner.
      Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

S660 mk2 is a given.

But what concerns me is the new and mysterious term "Personal Service Company" which this government has started to use. I fear IR35 mk2 is round the corner.
        S660 mk2 - backdated until tomorrow a possibility?

Comment

Originally posted by swamp View Post

S660 mk2 is a given.

IR & now HMRC have been using the term since 2000. It is of course arrant nonsense as there is no legal definition for the term in any Company legislation. It is a fiction, designed to persuade the hard of thinking that what the government is saying has anything resembling reasonableness.

Fight every opportunity to avoid the term getting legitimacy. Every official document you sign cross out PSC/Personal Service company and replace with Ltd Company.

You will note that in it's recent comments the Tories are doing the exact opposite on this issue and ensuring that those who get married or are in a civil partnership are able to split income just as those who are not related can.

Comment

Hmmm did some browsing to see if things can get backdated to PBR. And found from the PBR of 2000. "So I propose to extend the lower rate licence fee, the 55 pound discount, to cars up to 1500 cc, to be paid out from July but to be backdated from today".

So maybe it is wise to declare a dividend today ?!

Comment

What time is it?

I know it's nearly 11am but I mean't what time is the PBR....
              Last edited by Hiram King Of Tyre; 9 October 2007, 10:01.

Comment

Found it: 15.45

Comment

Originally posted by Hiram King Of Tyre View Post
                  Found it: 15.45
                  Typical bloody government spin.

The Treasury website says 3.30 - and they say they have inflation under control!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Perhaps Deloitte are wrong then

http://www.ukbudget.co.uk/PreBudget2007/index.cfm

Comment

Working...
                    X