• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Swing Low

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swing Low

I'll kick the song off:

"Swing loooowwwweee, sweeet chaaaaariot"

over to you
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I'll kick the song off:

over to you
    Beat the tulip out of the Aussies and send themmmmm hoooooome!

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I'll kick the song off:

over to you
      Allons enfants de la Patrie,
      Le jour de gloire est arrivé !
      Contre nous de la tyrannie,
      L'étendard sanglant est levé, (bis)
      Entendez-vous dans les campagnes
      Mugir ces féroces soldats ?
      Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras
      Egorger vos fils et vos compagnes !

Aux armes, citoyens,
      Formez vos bataillons,
      Marchons, marchons !
      Qu'un sang impur
      Abreuve nos sillons !

Ahh..........I love the smell of Garlic in the morning!!
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post

Allons enfants de la Patrie,
        Le jour de gloire est arrivé !
        Contre nous de la tyrannie,
        L'étendard sanglant est levé, (bis)
        Entendez-vous dans les campagnes
        Mugir ces féroces soldats ?
        Ils viennent jusque dans vos bras
        Egorger vos fils et vos compagnes !

Aux armes, citoyens,
        Formez vos bataillons,
        Marchons, marchons !
        Qu'un sang impur
        Abreuve nos sillons !

Ahh..........I love the smell of Garlic in the morning!!
        Typical fecking turn-coat Scot.

Have you no songs of your own?

Oh, sorry, I forgot. "You only sing when you're winning!"

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          Not often then. No wonder they're so miserable all the time
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Typical fecking turn-coat Scot.

Have you no songs of your own?

Swing Low is hardly an English song though is it? If anything it is more Welsh.....
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Turn coat scots?

Yeah like you boys will be cheering us on. I'll cheer on England at any sport but rugby, at which they are the biggest bunch of c0cks in the world ... come on the froggies - get it up em!

Think I'm safe in saying outside England that that's a pretty global attitude!
              Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by daviejones View Post
                Swing Low is hardly an English song though is it? If anything it is more Welsh.....
                I didn't think it had anything to do with the Welsh at all.

Wikipedia says Swing Low, Sweet Chariot was composed by Wallis Willis , a one-time slave of the Choctaw Indians in the old Indian Territory, around 1862. He was inspired by the Red River which reminded him of the Jordan River and of the Prophet Elijah being taken to heaven by a chariot.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post

Wikipedia says Swing Low, Sweet Chariot was composed by Wallis Willis , a one-time slave of the Choctaw Indians in the old Indian Territory, around 1862. He was inspired by the Red River which reminded him of the Jordan River and of the Prophet Elijah being taken to heaven by a chariot.

http://anthem4england.co.uk/modules/....php?storyid=6

"Swing Low, Sweet Chariot" is an African-American spiritual from the 1870s. It was one of several included by black singer Harry Burleigh in a celebrated 1917 compilation.

The exact origin of this spiritual is unknown although, like many others, it became popular among plantation workers in the 19th century.

There's a story that, in 1840, Wallis Willis, a slave of a Choctaw Indian, looked out over the cotton field he was tilling upon the Red River in the distance. It reminded him of the Mississippi and the plantation his master owned before moving to Doaksville, in Indian territory. Wallace expressed his longing by singing: 'Swing low, sweet chariot, comin' for to carry me home.'

The song probably first became popular in South Wales, where spirituals were sung in male voice choirs. Why it moved to the rugby sidelines is not certain - it may simply be that it's a rousing tune. Some say it was a response to the number of black players entering the game, chanted by a predominantly white crowd.

The song was adopted by England rugby fans on March 19, 1988, during a Five Nations match between England and Ireland.

At halftime England were 0-3 down. After the third of a second-half hat-trick of great tries by Chris Oti, the supporters sang spontaneously in celebration. England stormed home to win the game 35-3, and the song became the team's anthem.
                  "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post

Must be true if Wikipedia says so..

Comment

Working...
                    X