• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not all it's cracked up to be

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not all it's cracked up to be

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...8/ntate108.xml

Just another mad Doris?
    Made by Colombian artist Doris Salcedo and entitled Shibboleth, the fissure is the latest monumental piece to fill Tate Modern's giant Turbine Hall in the rolling Unilever series of commissions.

What may not be glaringly obvious to visitors is that Shibboleth is laden with meaning as deep as the crack itself, according to Salcedo.

She explained that it was a statement about racism and the gap between Europeans and the rest of mankind.

She went on: "It represents borders, the experience of immigrants, the experience of segregation, the experience of racial hatred.

"It is the experience of a Third World person coming into the heart of Europe.
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

How deep is it?

"It’s bottomless. It’s as deep as humanity,"
    No it isn't - it's about 3 feet deep in places. Or is that just a damning indictment of the state of humanity today?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      No it isn't - it's about 3 feet deep in places. Or is that just a damning indictment of the state of humanity today?

Or is that just a damning indictment of the state of workmanship today
      Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

"It is the experience of a Third World person coming into the heart of Europe."

Only if that crack is filled with gold - cheeky feckin' c**t.

Comment

Envy is a nasty thing

I admire the artist. Keeping a straight face while explaining your work is the only asset you need. I wonder how many artists would be free to follow their dream and perhaps achieve their potential if agencies were closed down.......
          Why not?

Comment

Should get some Polish builders in to fix that...
            Last edited by shelby68; 8 October 2007, 21:47.
            Some people are like slinkys, totally pointless but the thought of pushing them down a flight of stairs never fails to put a smile on your face.

Comment

Two vistors to the Tate Modern have fallen into the hole which forms the centrepiece of the new installation in the Turbine Hall.
              The pair, who were at a private viewing of Doris Salcedo's Shibboleth 2007, were not seriously injured.

The London museum said there were no incidents when it was opened to the public for the first time on Tuesday.

A Tate spokeswoman added there were no plans to place barriers around the 167-metre long crack at this stage.
              http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7037536.stm

Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Shibboleth - It's not about racism, it's about thpeech impedimenths!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge View Post
                  I admire the artist. Keeping a straight face while explaining your work is the only asset you need. I wonder how many artists would be free to follow their dream and perhaps achieve their potential if agencies were closed down.......
                  A friend of a friend of mine tried modern art as a joke.

He buried a leather jacket for six months to let it go mouldy a bit, and then passed it off as an indication of the state of the cattle industry in the UK.

It was critically acclaimed, and won some prize!
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    A friend of a friend of mine tried modern art as a joke.

He buried a leather jacket for six months to let it go mouldy a bit, and then passed it off as an indication of the state of the cattle industry in the UK.

It was critically acclaimed, and won some prize!
                    Nice idea. Sounds pretty arty to me.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X