• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting advice for a new contractor - is the estate agent lying?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting advice for a new contractor - is the estate agent lying?

Me and my other half are both contractors through ltd companies and are trying to rent a property for the next 6 months.

An estate agent just accepted my offer on a rented house but said that unless I had 2 years of accounts (which neither of us have) or we have a contract for the full 6 months of the rental contract (which we don't) we will fail the credit check. He said all we could do was pay the 6 months rent in advance.

Is he trying it on or telling the truth? Has anyone else been able to rent with less than 2 years accounts?

Any advice would be a real help.

I've never had to show accounts, but I reckon that's because you're going about it in a less than optimal way. You don't work "through" your limited company any more than a checkout lass works "through" Tesco's. You work for it.

Just tell them (truthfully) that you work permanently for MarsCorp Ltd and that you can provide payslips if you need them. I'll admit this might be tricky if the company has a similar name and address to your own.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Just tell them (truthfully) that you work permanently for MarsCorp Ltd and that you can provide payslips if you need them. I'll admit this might be tricky if the company has a similar name and address to your own.
      That's the way to do it - my Mrs went looking for a flat for me, told the agency that I was on a three month contract, and they refused to deal with her, since it was a 6 month let. Even though she said we'd take the 6 month let, they refused to even give her a list of properties.

Yes - all agents lie.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by jmars View Post
        Is he trying it on or telling the truth? Has anyone else been able to rent with less than 2 years accounts?
        He is being a knob. You don't fit into a nice neat little box that he is used to dealing with so he's all confused. Aww. I've rented before by explaining how I work to the guy that owns the estate agents and there's been no problem. You're probably dealing with the monkey, ask to speak to the organ grinder. Or package the information for him in a way that he understands it, ie, say you work for YourCo Ltd.

What the idiot should be doing is speaking to the person who owns the property to see if they are happy to let to someone in your situation. They are likely to be fine with it. Go direct, agents like that.

Comment

You probably make the rent in a day between you so I don't see what the issue it.

Simple fact is that there are more retals than renters so you can afford to be choosy.

Comment

The clue is in the title "Estate AGENT"
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Thanks for your replies.

The problem with telling them that we both work for companies and providing pay slips is that I haven't started my contract yet and my other half's pay slip shows that he earns next to nothing and it wouldn't cover the rent. But yes, in reality we'll both be earning in 2 days what the rent is. The other problem is that our company names are pretty close to our surnames so it's a bit obvious.

I'm going to have another go this morning to explain the situation to the arsehole. We could also prove to them that we have the money in savings but why should they earn interest on our savings for 6 months? Surely if I was retired and living off savings they'd let me rent? Or if I was a multimillionaire?

Comment

Rental Agents are muppets. Once they realise how much money you make they are more than happy to accomodate you...
                ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by jmars View Post
                  Me and my other half are both contractors through ltd companies and are trying to rent a property for the next 6 months.

An estate agent just accepted my offer on a rented house but said that unless I had 2 years of accounts (which neither of us have) or we have a contract for the full 6 months of the rental contract (which we don't) we will fail the credit check. He said all we could do was pay the 6 months rent in advance.

Any advice would be a real help.

Well he's not trying it on because he doesn't know you, and most people would satisfy that criteria. As a "has been" landlord I also wouldn't let to someone potentially out of work, or illiquid, as you're asking for it. Not paying rent is very common. I would negotiate, prehaps you can curtail the agreement to when your contracts run out and then renew when you do have a contract. If you have substantial savings that would probably suffice. If you're broke and your contracts run out soon, then its going to be difficult.
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 October 2007, 08:53.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                    Suppose you do this and you produce a payslip with a salary of around £10k because your contracts are not caught by IR35. How do you explain next when the rent is £1k a month...?
                    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Working...
                    X