• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question prompted by Xoggoth and his pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question prompted by Xoggoth and his pension

The amount of money an annuity pays out is related to how quickly they think you are going to die. So if you smoke heavily, drink heavily and have some terrible disease, your pension will be large. For the healthy, it is poverty for you.

How do they know the person who smokes 60 a day, drink a bottle of whiskey every day is telling the truth?

I might be tempted to lie on the forms.

Originally posted by King Cnvt View Post
    How do they know the person who smokes 60 a day, drink a bottle of whiskey every day is telling the truth?
    Shhhh, don't let the cat out of the bag.

Spartacus in "retirement planning" mode.
    I'm Spartacus.

Comment

if you smoke heavily, drink heavily and have some terrible disease, your pension will be large.
      if you did all of the above, what would be your chances of reaching pensionable age?
      How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
        if you did all of the above, what would be your chances of reaching pensionable age?
        Good man. Keep it up. We'll have 'em fooled in no time.

I'm Spartacus.

Comment

The amount of money an annuity pays out is related to how quickly they think you are going to die. So if you smoke heavily, drink heavily and have some terrible disease, your pension will be large. For the healthy, it is poverty for you.

I might be tempted to lie on the forms.
          Wouldn't they think "hang on, this guy's not going to live to collect on his pension so let's pay him a pittance and keep the rest when he's finally gone" ?
          It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
            Wouldn't they think "hang on, this guy's not going to live to collect on his pension so let's pay him a pittance and keep the rest when he's finally gone" ?
            That would be dishonest.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              That would be dishonest.
              Insurance companies? Dishonest? Never!!
              It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Pensions are a waste of money unless you are employed and are having contributions paid in. The biggest problem I have with them is that the funds are locked away until you are 55, and more importantly once you die (add/delete wife) the money is swallowed up by the provider, leaving nothing to pass onto the family.

I'd rather invest myself in other long-term asset growth which I can then pass on through the generations.

Comment

Originally posted by TazMaN View Post
                  Pensions are a waste of money unless you are employed and are having contributions paid in. The biggest problem I have with them is that the funds are locked away until you are 55, and more importantly once you die (add/delete wife) the money is swallowed up by the provider, leaving nothing to pass onto the family.

I'd rather invest myself in other long-term asset growth which I can then pass on through the generations.
                  But they are "good" in the sense that one's dosh is added to by the State. Unless the Fund is squandered a la Fatty Maxwell. Or is all that sort of naughtiness impossible now?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    You've never heard of Gordon Brown then?

Makes Maxwell pale into insignificance...
                    Elaborate.

Comment

Working...
                    X