• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you get off a bus, don't get back on it

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you get off a bus, don't get back on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7035620.stm

Crazy situation really. I'm most scared because the killing (summary execution rather) can be justified by a tip-off. The police don't need to see a bomb on the person to kill the person. Even in Israel, the bomb must be seen before shooting the person is justified. And, from previous mistakes - namely the two lads in east London - information can often be wrong. Add to this the ridiculous use of the Terrorism Act - arrests go pretty well unabated - could this be the beginnings of a complete Police state?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Crazy situation really. I'm most scared because the killing (summary execution rather) can be justified by a tip-off. The police don't need to see a bomb on the person to kill the person. Even in Israel, the bomb must be seen before shooting the person is justified. And, from previous mistakes - namely the two lads in east London - information can often be wrong. Add to this the ridiculous use of the Terrorism Act - arrests go pretty well unabated - could this be the beginnings of a complete Police state?
      This isn't the BEGINNING at all...it's been going on for a while now, what with suspects allowed to be in custody for 28 days before even hinting at going before a judge.
      Just this morning a policeman had a toy plastic rifle pointed at him by an 8 year old boy and he was marched (by the policeman) home and his father was ordered to break it in half in front of the boy. The boys younger sister - about 5 or 6 I think - was playing in her toy car (the type you sit in and pedal) was also told to take it off the street as it wasn't "roadworthy"

This policeman should really take a long, hard, look at himself and wonder if life is worth living!

sorry...rant over
      It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
        This isn't the BEGINNING at all...it's been going on for a while now, what with suspects allowed to be in custody for 28 days before even hinting at going before a judge.
        Just this morning a policeman had a toy plastic rifle pointed at him by an 8 year old boy and he was marched (by the policeman) home and his father was ordered to break it in half in front of the boy. The boys younger sister - about 5 or 6 I think - was playing in her toy car (the type you sit in and pedal) was also told to take it off the street as it wasn't "roadworthy"

This policeman should really take a long, hard, look at himself and wonder if life is worth living!

sorry...rant over
        The young lad should be happy that he wasn't held on the ground, arrested under the TA 2000 and the parent's and relatives houses ransacked, computers taken and cars taken for forensics. If you ask me the officer didn't go far enough.

If kids can't play on streets in front of their homes anymore, no wonder they are getting obese. Its been the Police's fault all along!

Exactly what power does the officer wield over the father to force him to break a toy gun? Surely there must have been a threat of arrest?
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
          The boys younger sister - about 5 or 6 I think - was playing in her toy car (the type you sit in and pedal) was also told to take it off the street as it wasn't "roadworthy"
          This was presumably after she had been issued with a ticket for driving on the pavement?

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
            Even in Israel, the bomb must be seen before shooting the person is justified.
            Really? Someone should tell the Israeli army about that because thats not what they're instructing their soldiers.

If getting off a bus and realising you're at the wrong stop and climbing back on is a shootable offence then Londoner's are screwed. Anyone who's ever travelled on any crowded form of London public transport (ie all of them) has had to get off just to let people behind them get off. Better start wearing clear plastic clothing.

My GF is/was a Travel Trainer for special needs children and teaches them how to use busses and public transport. Getting off at the wrong stop is their speciality. There lives could be in danger now.

Time to start wearing my bullet proof vest again.

K

Comment

Working...
            X