• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax tax tax, spend spend spend spend spend..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax tax tax, spend spend spend spend spend..

http://business.guardian.co.uk/prebu...182780,00.html

15% increase in departmental spending. After all we do need an even BIGGER government don't we?
    "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.
    It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

Originally posted by MrRobin View Post
      The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy.

That's OK then, for a moment I thought our taxes were being frittered away!
      "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Also this:

· Changes to capital gains tax,withdrawing loopholes available to private equity firms.

Is this the end of taper relief? If it is then that's VERY annoying.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's not "spending", it's now known as "investing".

Comment

So far I see lots of increases in spending and a few tax cuts and threshold rises.......... no extra taxes yet.......... wait for it..........
            It's about time I changed this sig...

Comment

from bbc

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7036009.stm

Mr Darling promised to reform the capital gains tax system, ensuring those working in private equity pay a "fairer share". There will be a single rate of 18% for all.

So no taper relief then?!??!?!??!?!??!?! FK!

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

So is it only me who's concerned about this then? Thought this might get a bit more discussion - I take it none of you were planning to take advantage of taper relief then?

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I was. Will speak to my accountant.

"It is not just high-flyers who will be affected by Mr Darling's clampdown on tax loopholes in a bid to bolster the Treasury's coffers.

He also intended to tackle small family businesses which distribute profits among relatives, and stop couples minimising the higher earner's tax liability by paying dividends to a lower-earning spouse. "

Them bad people, the small business people. Tax them till they give up and sign on the social.

Comment

Capital gains tax at 18%

Nice, if true.

Comment

Working...
                    X