• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

submit ex-clients references to agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

submit ex-clients references to agents

Will you submit any references of your ex-clients to an agent before you have received job offer and even job interview? The agent requested me to submit the references to their client before having an interview with me. They said the client won't contact my ex-clients until I have got a job offer from them. Otherwise, I won't be selected for the interview as it is part of the requirements from their clients.

Is it really true? I didn't hear that I needed to submit the references before I had got an interview confirmation based on my experiences.

Originally posted by clwd View Post
    Will you submit any references of your ex-clients to an agent before you have received job offer and even job interview? The agent requested me to submit the references to their client before having an interview with me. They said the client won't contact my ex-clients until I have got a job offer from them. Otherwise, I won't be selected for the interview as it is part of the requirements from their clients.

Is it really true? I didn't hear that I needed to submit the references before I had got an interview confirmation based on my experiences.
    Give them references that they can't use - I have a couple of permie places that don't use contractors that I use. Use some contractor mates, but don't tell them that that is who they are - e.g. "Bob Smith was the project manager on XYZ project".

Alternatively, tell the agency where to go and find some other work elsewhere.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

It's all bollox mate. They're contact fishing. Tell them that you'll give the references to the client. If they won't agree to this, then there is no position in the first place.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

They said the client won't contact my ex-clients until I have got a job offer from them.
        This is a lie. They will contact your ex-clients for sales leads.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Tell them you're happy to provide references, but only direct to the client.
          Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

It's amazing how many gullible people fall for this references scam.

It must be a greed thing.

A sort of Nigerian Agents trick.

"Please send references and we will deposit a highly paying contract into your lap."

Comment

agents dont' want to tell the client names

Sometimes, the agents said that they would send my cv to a client but they cannot tell me the client name until the client invites me a job interview. So they could only give the job description of the post. It's hard to tell whether they are finishing or not. In order not to miss any chanes, I let them send me cv to the unknown client.

Should I force them to tell me the client names before submitting my cv to the clients? how about your agents?

Comment

Agents won't tell you the client's name until they absolutely have to for fear that you'll cut them out of the deal and try to go direct. I don't think there's anything abnormal there.

Of course you can often do a bit of research and figure out who it is.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Of course you can often do a bit of research and figure out who it is.
                  Like cut and paste the company description from the advert into Google:

"We are the largest XYZ producer in Europe..."
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Now to be fair I did this once.

No the agent didnt go fishing (S Beechey @ Practicus).

But the majority of agents would.

Comment

Working...
                    X