• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you politically active?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you politically active?

There's plenty of people on here whinging about the PBR and how we're all being fleeced, and how rubbish the government are.

Does anyone on here actually do anything about it though? I mean, do you donate to a party, arrange events, speak to your MP, contact any of the parties etc. etc. It seems to me that people are quite prepared to whinge about the situation, but I'd be interested to know whether you do anything to change / support the situation.
    I don't even bother voting
    11.11%
    I vote, but otherwise just whinge about it all
    38.89%
    I am a party member but that's it
    0.00%
    I help arrange party events / fund raisers
    0.00%
    I am actively involved in the party
    11.11%
    I regularly contact / canvas politicians
    16.67%
    Other
    0.00%
    I am AndyW
    22.22%

The poll is expired.

Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

No. And you are right: I should shut my trap until I do.

[EDIT] It does depend on who your MP is - some are open to ideas; others are too focussed on their careers, soundbites, etc. e.g. Boris Johnson: Hopelessly focussed on celebrity and being next London Mayor to be arsed about his constituency. The turd. Plenty of others like him, though.
    Last edited by DBA_bloke; 10 October 2007, 09:36.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      There's plenty of people on here whinging about the PBR and how we're all being fleeced, and how rubbish the government are.

Does anyone on here actually do anything about it though? I mean, do you donate to a party, arrange events, speak to your MP, contact any of the parties etc. etc. It seems to me that people are quite prepared to whinge about the situation, but I'd be interested to know whether you do anything to change / support the situation.
      Before I moved, I'd written to my MP (Cons, Hamond, Merton) once via his website about taxation as he was on some committee or other. He replied via snail mail.

I'm not sure who my MP is now.
      ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I have donated to the Conservative party.
        Raised funds for Conservative party.
        Written to MP (sadly, where I live it is always a Labour MP).

Not that any of it has done me any good.

My take on politics now is this. No matter who is in power, concentrate on making your own (and your families) life as comfortable as possible. Don't waste effort trying to influence the world, just do better than those around you.

Or, in the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

I've contacted my MP a couple of times. All he does is forward it onto the relevant people, despite once asking for his views, since he is my MP. So far I have had a note from the prawn and Ed Balls, both towing the party line. My MP is your typical Labour MP in a very safe seat - constantly harping on about how we should look after everybody else while filling his boots with his hefty salary and nice set of expenses.
          Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I wrote to my Labour candidate at the last election, explaining why I wouldn't be voting for her.

Got a very nice, personalised letter back thanking me for my reasons, she was sorry that I wouldn't be voting for her, but if she got in then remember that she was there to represent my views as well as those that did vote for her.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have written or emailed a number of MPs including Golden Brown, Dim Prawn, the minister for small business, his shadow, my local MP, county councilors and city councilors on a number of occasions and subjects including IR35 S660 and a number of local issues.

I am not a member of any particular party.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Bah, the lizards now got more posts than I ever had

Comment

Working...
                X