• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

utilising CGT allowance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

utilising CGT allowance

I was wondering how other contractors best use their CGT allowance.

Assuming the following:

myco earns 100k - i have 10k expense pa - pay myself 6k salary

so i have my 84k profit - CT takes 20% - leaving me 67K odd

I take up to my higher tax rate in dividends - I have no income shifters

I was previously planning on leaving the 30K odd that I dont withdraw in the company account for 3 years then drawing it out using taper relief.

Now that this option is gone - any ideas on how to use my annual CGT allowance to get more of the money out without attracting excess tax?
    The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Originally posted by ookook View Post

Assuming the following:

I was previously planning on leaving the 30K odd that I dont withdraw in the company account for 3 years then drawing it out using taper relief.

Now that this option is gone - any ideas on how to use my annual CGT allowance to get more of the money out without attracting excess tax?
    Pay it into a pension? Doesn't help short-term, but it would in the long-term.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      Pay it into a pension? Doesn't help short-term, but it would in the long-term.
      That's what I do too...I'm 48 now and will be able to draw out 25% tax free when I'm 50 (before the rules change)

Comment

how does paying into a pension affect my CGT allowance?
        The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven

Comment

how does paying into a pension affect my CGT allowance?
          Sorry - it doesn't. I only read the line "get more of the money out without attracting excess tax?" at the end as I was skimming the gist (wrongly, as it turned out!)

Can't think of way of getting money out without incurring more tax.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Assuming the following:

Use your excess money to invest in a buy-to-let property. After twelve months, throw your hapless tenants into the street and sell the house for a nifty capital gain. Rinse and repeat.

Comment

Leave the country, move to a tax haven, wait until you are no longer a resident for tax purposes (not sure how long this needs to be – I have heard different things from different sources), and then take the funds out of the company as a dividend. No tax! (less the CT already paid that is).

Comment

Buy back some of the shares that you own in the company. Am just in the process of consulting my account on this point, but I think that this would work quite well now that the capital gains tax rate has been "normalised" to 18%.

- You own, say, 100 shares in yourco.
                - Yourco buys 10 shares back from you, at 921 GBP each.
                You declare the capital gain (original value was 1 GBP, capital gain is 920/share) on your tax return. No tax to pay
                - Any extra (over and above your CGT allowance), you would pay 18% on, which is better than the 22.5% equivalent you pay on higher rate dividend income.

The health warning on this is that I am still checking with my accountant (and would welcome views from the accountants who post on this board). But on first inspection it looks like a viable alternative.
                Plan A is located just about here.
                If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Pickle posted a similar thing yesterday or the day before. Let us know how you get on Monkey, also would be good to get some feedback from the Accountants on the board...
                  "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I raised this also a long time ago, big thread on it from then.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-buy-back.html
                    The Mods stole my post count!

Comment

Working...
                    X