• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

It's a bit noisy around here...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a bit noisy around here...

Hundreds of cab drivers and couriers beeping their horns in a protest outside the LDA buildings - one is right next to the client's office.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7037495.stm

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
    Hundreds of cab drivers and couriers beeping their horns in a protest outside the LDA buildings - one is right next to the client's office.

They do have a point...
    "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

And I applauded them - as are others - the numpties in the LDA building are just standing around at the windows, pointing. In an effort to be 'pro equality' old Ken ends up fostering racism.

Comment

What a load of rubbish this whole thing is.

Cabbies are protesting because the LDA wants to help more people get into that profession. Maybe IT contractors should all be picketing universities because they are helping other people gain entry into the profession by providing subsidised training that we would have to pay for to do it ourselves.

Get a grip.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          What a load of rubbish this whole thing is.

Cabbies are protesting because the LDA wants to help more people get into that profession. Maybe IT contractors should all be picketing universities because they are helping other people gain entry into the profession by providing subsidised training that we would have to pay for to do it ourselves.

Get a grip.
          Erm - you missed the point. The LDA are only extending this extra funding and support to ethnic minorities. It's that that's annoying the cabbies. They argue equality for all.

Comment

Erm - you missed the point. The LDA are only extending this extra funding and support to ethnic minorities. It's that that's annoying the cabbies. They argue equality for all.
            It's a badly worded article:

Cab drivers have protested against plans to give help to women and ethnic minorities entering the profession.

They said moves to offer language, numeracy and childcare support for those taking the Knowledge exam was preferential treatment.
            The second paragraph (as I read it) did not imply that the treatment was only to the women and ethnic minorities, it just says that they are offering support for people taking the Knowledge.

If the protest is that the support should be offered to everyone rather than just a few, then I'll take back my original post and I'm in favour. I had assumed that they were protesting because support was now being offered (to everyone) and they'd had to do without.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Wait 'til they discover Tom-Tom, etc. Any twot can navigate London now.

Comment

Originally posted by DBA_bloke View Post
                Wait 'til they discover Tom-Tom, etc. Any twot can navigate London now.
                That means you can be a minicab driver, not black cab.

No idea why you need "The Knowledge" when you have "The Technology"
                Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  That means you can be a minicab driver, not black cab.

No idea why you need "The Knowledge" when you have "The Technology"
                  Agreed... but how long before the arcane "Knowledge" is seen as an anachronistic load of of old secret society twaddle?

Comment

And seriously, what woman would want to be a cabby in London, I've had enough harrass and abuse me just being a passenger, it's another sacred WASPM club.

Comment

Working...
                    X