• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing a business suit....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensing a business suit....

...yay or nay? Noticed that the ex-director general of the BBC was able to do it by being payed via his own company and I just wondered if anyone else had done such? It's wholly for business use, after all!

Of course you can do this, but it is seen as a benefit in kind, so the tax you will pay personally will offset any tax saved by the ltd.

The reason it is seen as a benefit in kind this way, is the suit is just normal clothing and can be worn in a non-business environment.

So the answer is no really.

I mean where would you draw the line? Company pants, company cufflinks? company false teeth?

Comment

nope, in fact this example is specifically quoted on the Inland Revenue's website

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/eimanual/EIM32455.htm
      Plan A is located just about here.
      If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

If its branded you can wear it.

Get your co logo embroidered on the inside.

I like this bit:

At the same time as he was wearing the clothing for work it was also meeting his need for warmth and decency.
        I am naturally sweaty and have no shame!

Does that mean I win?

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
          If its branded you can wear it.

Get your co logo embroidered on the inside.

I like this bit:

I am naturally sweaty and have no shame!

Does that mean I win?
          I like this one - I'm going to get to work on my company logo. Does it mater where it is? i.e can I have it on the inside of my sleeve or on the inside pocket
          or does it have to be outwardly displayed?
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
            I like this one - I'm going to get to work on my company logo. Does it mater where it is? i.e can I have it on the inside of my sleeve or on the inside pocket
            or does it have to be outwardly displayed?
            If it were investigated, then you would need to prove that either you needed it for work (which you can't do with a suit, but could for a fluorescent jacket if you needed one for safety reasons), or that it was a promotional tool, clearly branded.

Having a logo on the inside wouldn't really help, and would more likely set the going about what else have you claimed that is dodgy.

Just work another day and buy one, FFS.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              If it were investigated, then you would need to prove that either you needed it for work (which you can't do with a suit, but could for a fluorescent jacket if you needed one for safety reasons), or that it was a promotional tool, clearly branded.

Having a logo on the inside wouldn't really help, and would more likely set the going about what else have you claimed that is dodgy.

Just work another day and buy one, FFS.
              I don't think I'll actually be developing a logo to embroid onto a suit so I could claim it - last thing I want is the clunking fist looking at my dodgy operations!

You ain't seen me - roight
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
                ...yay or nay? Noticed that the ex-director general of the BBC was able to do it by being payed via his own company and I just wondered if anyone else had done such? It's wholly for business use, after all!
                No.

It's been proved in court by HMRC as well.
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

There is nothing wrong with getting a crappy suit from Asda and getting a logo put on it and then heading down to some swanky place to buy another. When the revenue guy asks to see the suit show him the cheap one.

Nothing except fraud!
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I can't believe the effort some people will go through to save £50... once a year.

Comment

Working...
                    X