• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Orient Express

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Orient Express

Planning on taking the present Mrs B to Venice for a week or so in the spring. Being a contractor the only way to do it is on the Orient Express. However it is a serious chunk of wonga ( circa £2400 each for a return ticket ) to drop on a couple of train tickets and my naturally stingy nature is nagging at me not to do it.

So, has anyone travelled on the OE and was it worth it?
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

I can't imagine it being worth that sort of dough. Always looks rather uncomfortable, whenever I've seen it on telly. For £4800 you could do something a lot better.

Comment

Done it a few times to Venice, and from Vencie back to london and there is nothing like it!!

The Mrs will love it. Yes its on the pricy side, bit it really gets you in the mood for a great holiday. Plus I would say it has to be on the list of things to do in a lifetime.
      "Wait, I still function!"

Comment

You can always fly back, infact i don't think I have ever done it both ways, usually moved onto another place and flown.

Comment

Our local paper are doing flights for 1p.

I've told the missus that when that includes a two for one offer, I might be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            However it is a serious chunk of wonga ( circa £2400 each for a return ticket ) to drop on a couple of train tickets and my naturally stingy nature is nagging at me not to do it.

So, has anyone travelled on the OE and was it worth it?
            I believe you can actually fly to Australia for that amount - thats if you actually WANT to go to Australia (though I do reccommend it in their spring)
            It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Tony View Post
              You can always fly back, infact i don't think I have ever done it both ways, usually moved onto another place and flown.

That is the conclusion I was coming to. Train out there to kick start the holiday and fly back afterwards.

Next thing is the hotel. I was thinking about this one
              Last edited by DaveB; 11 October 2007, 10:22.

Comment

Very Very nice!

though you propably won't be spending much time in the hotel, there are hundreds of little resturants which are lovley plus you will be out and about all day, its really a place where you could spend ages looking at everything

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  That is the conclusion I was coming to. Train out there to kick start the holiday and fly back afterwards.

Next thing is the hotel. I was thinking about this one

3k a night? - you must love your wife!!!

You could by a lovely sports car/ boat / flat in bolton for a weeks money!
                  ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
                    3k a night? - you must love your wife!!!

You could by a lovely sports car/ boat / flat in bolton for a weeks money!
                    I did say I was "thinking" about it

Comment

Working...
                    X