• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ATW - would you agree?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATW - would you agree?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7043911.stm
    A study of how well European countries integrate immigrants places the UK ninth out of 25 EU nations.
    The continental-wide review praised the UK's nationality and residency laws, but said migrants did not have enough workplace or political rights.

A MIGRANT'S LIFE: UK SCORES
    5th: Long-term residence
    5th: Nationality laws
    5th: Discrimination laws
    12th: Family reunion
    12th: Labour market access
    15th: Political rights

Note: League table of 25 EU nations; Source: Migration Integration Policy index
    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

I think this is a load of bull. This sort of stuff only makes sense in USA where different states might have distinctly different policies so a mecixan chap can decide where it is best to go to.

In Europe there are many different languages - if you know just English (and how many immigrants know many different languages?) you go to the UK, if you know German you go to Germany, maybe Austria, if you know French you go to France. My guess is that most probably learnt English so they go to the UK and that's really about it.

Comment

There is a fundamental flaw with the process in the UK that I have seen at first hand.

Mrs Gonzo is from NZ, but now has dual British nationality, she went through the citizenship cermony too (what a joke that was but don't get me started ).

So she has a certificate that states she is British, but it doesn't tell her which side she is supposed to support when England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales are playing each other at rugby.

How are people supposed to integrate if they are not given the information that they need to fully engage with the locals?

She badly needs a new rugby team to support too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
        There is a fundamental flaw with the process in the UK that I have seen at first hand.

Mrs Gonzo is from NZ, but now has dual British nationality, she went through the citizenship cermony too (what a joke that was but don't get me started ).

So she has a certificate that states she is British, but it doesn't tell her which side she is supposed to support when England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales are playing each other at rugby.

How are people supposed to integrate if they are not given the information that they need to fully engage with the locals?

We need to incorporate the Tebbitt test into the citizenship exam, obviously!
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post

It's obvious ... SCOTLAND!
          Have patience. In time, even grass becomes milk.

Comment

She badly needs a new rugby team to support too

Bad sign for you if she changes the team she supports as soon as things get difficult....

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              We need to incorporate the Tebbitt test into the citizenship exam, obviously!
              A lot of people knock that old chap but I actually like him - there should be more people like him who talk pretty straight without political correct rubbish - I don't agree with all he says but he sure deserves respect for saying things other won't dare.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                he sure deserves respect for saying things other won't dare.
                Hmmm. Like Hitler? Or Nick Griffin? Or mad beardies? Bollocks. Tebbo was rabid right wing politics incarnate, and did feck all to help his party: he made it piss-easy to hate, revile and ridicule them. Only reason he and his ilk weren't turfed-out was that the Tories thought they had the helm forever and so loony oddballs like Tebbo were not seen as a threat... they were wrong.

Comment

Having a full complement of odd balls does not seem to have harmed NL as yet. Tragic really, although the portents are starting to look better at long last.
                  “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
                    Having a full complement of odd balls does not seem to have harmed NL as yet. Tragic really, although the portents are starting to look better at long last.
                    Different times. The Great British Public is no longer politically aware.

Comment

Working...
                    X