• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Trouble....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Trouble....

Can anybody provide a "possible" diagnostic of the follwoing problem - before I get ripped off at the local garage.

Driving along this morning quite happily doing 60 in the 50 zone, suddenly the power seemed to drop from my trusty 306.

The "engine" warning light came on and the car just putt-putted along and would refuse to go above 40.

The car was revving ok, but the revs don't appear to be transalted into traction, plus the sound was very putt-putty [ as I've said ].

Any ideas ?

Cheers
    Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

UFO

Comment

it would help if you said what car it is and what engine

jeez this is like a response from pc support when a user says... my pc doesn't work

if your car is a turbo diesel

it might the mass airflow sensor which has gone and as a result your engine runs in safe mode with no turbo and probably half the horse power

are you in management ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
        Can anybody provide a "possible" diagnostic of the follwoing problem - before I get ripped off at the local garage.

Driving along this morning quite happily doing 60 in the 50 zone, suddenly the power seemed to drop from my trusty 306.

The "engine" warning light came on and the car just putt-putted along and would refuse to go above 40.

The car was revving ok, but the revs don't appear to be transalted into traction, plus the sound was very putt-putty [ as I've said ].

Any ideas ?

Cheers
        engine warning light probably means the engine has given up the ghost. Have you checked the oil lately?
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
          it would help if you said what car it is and what engine

jeez this is like a response from pc support when a user says... my pc doesn't work

if your car is a turbo diesel

it might the mass airflow sensor which has gone and as a result your engine runs in safe mode with no turbo and probably half the horse power

are you in management ?

Milan.

Milan - I said "my trust 306" - It's Peugeot - bog standard 1.6.

Comment

Some posher models (Audi for instance) have a go slow mode to prevent damage when something goes wrong, never heard of it on a Pug though?
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Your best bet is to trade it in for an old grey diesel Passat. Then you have reached automotive utopia.

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
                engine warning light probably means the engine has given up the ghost. Have you checked the oil lately?
                yep, that all seemed ok.

I've gone back to it at lunchtime, and the problem seems to have gone.

I still need to get it sorted as I don't want it happening again.

I'm thinking it could have been some crap in the fuel line which has now cleared ? - any thoughts ?

Typical - the user can't get the problem to re-manifest itself

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird View Post
                  Milan - I said "my trust 306" - It's Peugeot - bog standard 1.6.
                  I think I see your problem
                  Si posse, recte, si non, quocumque modo rem

Comment

Car trouble?

I'll give you car trouble, two separate occasions this weekend some useless **** has driven into my parked car.

**** number 1 only managed to hit the wing mirror and leave a line of rubber along the door.

**** number 2 left a massive dent in the rear wheel arch and loads of paint.

Neither incident was on CCTV. Neither **** left a note. *****.
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X