• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Does car insurance need to be for business use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does car insurance need to be for business use?

Getting a new car insurance quote I was asked:

Are you just using for social domestic and commuting? I said yes.
    Then I was asked if I would be driving to the same place of work and returning home after. The thing is, I may be staying away during the week in a hotel. And also the location may change every 3 or 6 months when contracts change.

The other thing is if I'm away from "home" travelling i'll only be back at "home" 2 days a week. which is only 29% of the time (depends when i travel back), and they are looking for >70% of the time in one fixed location over night.

So I've got two queries:
    * do i need to stipulate my "commute" to different work sites as "Business mileage" for the insurance purposes?

* What address do I list as the location of hte vehicle? If I'm changing hotels then its going to be a pain having to keep phoning up and giving a new postcode and watching my premiums go up!

tips appreciated guys!

typically as a contrator your main place if business is your house.
    ANy visits to clients are classed as business mileage, so yes you need to be insured for business use.

If you are able to claim mileage for driving there then it is not your normal place of work and you need business insurance cover. If you have an accident on the way the insurance company are within their rights to not pay out if you don't have it.

Comment

Yes - get business use. It doesn't usually cost a whole lost extra.

It's a bit of a cheek to claim your client's site as your normal place of work for car insurance purposes, but only a temporary place of work for expenses purposes, even if you'd never get caught.
      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Yes - get business use. It doesn't usually cost a whole lost extra.

It's a bit of a cheek to claim your client's site as your normal place of work for car insurance purposes, but only a temporary place of work for expenses purposes, even if you'd never get caught.
        Yeah, good point. (thanks for all the replies guys) I'll put it down as business mileage. then I just need to get them to agree to the post code I give them, may end up being a hotel!

Comment

I'm past the 24 month rule and I drive to work. I don't claim mileage any more, so I reckon my drive to the client's site is a 'commute' now, at least in the eyes of HMRC.
          Cats are evil.

Comment

Originally posted by richy View Post
            Yeah, good point. (thanks for all the replies guys) I'll put it down as business mileage. then I just need to get them to agree to the post code I give them, may end up being a hotel!

Personally I would just explain to them that you spend a far amount of time away from home overnight, but the car's 'normal' overnight location is home.

They may bump up your premium, they may not. But I have never heard of someone not getting a payout if their car got nicked from a hotel.

Comment

My last insurer charged £20 PA for business use and IIRC Directline charged me nothing, just get it.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Same. With direct line it didnt cost me anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  Same. With direct line it didnt cost me anything.
                  Maybe they ripped you off before hand so it is not really "free".

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Maybe they ripped you off before hand so it is not really "free".
                    I've never found anything cheaper and thats with a group 17 car.
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Working...
                    X