• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Britain has become one of the most taxed countries in the world

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain has become one of the most taxed countries in the world

It's true I tell you. Comparing to Norway which folks believe is expensive. Well I've news for you filling up the car here is 10p cheaper per litre, buying drink in the supermarkets is about the same as in tescos, housing is way cheaper,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.../nbrown118.xml
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

It makes clear that despite Gordon Brown's repeated promise to introduce a "fair tax system", the Government has increasingly hit families and companies with ever-higher taxes, from stamp duty and inheritance tax to council tax and business rates,
    That's because when they've uncovered an unfairness, it's always the lower payment that's unfair, not the upper.

From the OECD site, though, Norway's total tax take is 43.6% of GDP, compared with the UK 37.4%, and Norway's take for consumption tax is 7.9% compared with the UK 6.8%.

I'll stick with Switzerland; 30.1% and 4% respectively.
    Last edited by NotAllThere; 18 October 2007, 11:06.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      That's because when they've uncovered an unfairness, it's always the lower payment that's unfair, not the upper.

From the OECD site, though, Norway's total tax take is 43.6% of GDP, compared with the UK 37.4%, and Norway's take for consumption tax is 7.9% compared with the UK 6.8%.

I know tax is higher here, however, you can see where the money is spent, public services here are light years ahead of the UK.

I don't mind paying higher tax it's when there is nothing to show for it
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

But full of the Swiss.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Admittedly the downside. But only 4 out of 5 people you meet are likely to be Swiss. And considerably fewer in any business environment.

Comment

[QUOTE=scooterscot;320856]It's true I tell you. Comparing to Norway which folks believe is expensive. Well I've news for you filling up the car here is 10p cheaper per litre, buying drink in the supermarkets is about the same as in tescos, housing is way cheaper, QUOTE]

What has the price of housing got to do with tax?

And Norway is expensive. Go into the supermarket and fill your basket with the normal everyday stuff that you have to buy to live on (and consequently only a very small part of the price is tax). You know, that stuff called food. If the total is less than twice the UK price I will be very surprised.

tim

Comment

Admittedly the downside. But only 4 out of 5 people you meet are likely to be Swiss. And considerably fewer in any business environment.
              But unfortunately every foreigner feels the duty of becoming "swiss" himself to keep up the long-time tradition. Have you started hating all these expats already?
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko View Post
                But unfortunately every foreigner feels the duty of becoming "swiss" himself to keep up the long-time tradition. Have you started hating all these expats already?
                Nope, haven't noticed any of that. Associating with expats is essential to sanity. It's usually the noob expats who try to become "swiss" - after a while it becomes too much for them, and they either check into the loony bin, go back to the UK, or get to know other expats.

You have to be able to talk to people sometime, without worrying about talking too fast, using colloquialisms and idiom, or inadvertantly ( as opposed to deliberately) causing offence.

Comment

Nope, haven't noticed any of that. Associating with expats is essential to sanity. It's usually the noob expats who try to become "swiss" - after a while it becomes too much for them, and they either check into the loony bin, go back to the UK, or get to know other expats.

You have to be able to talk to people sometime, without worrying about talking too fast, using colloquialisms and idiom, or inadvertantly ( as opposed to deliberately) causing offence.
                  I dealt with my year in Switzerland by getting the client to pay for my flights back to London at weekends. (Business class flights - those were the days!)Friday afternoon about 4 pm on my way to the airport was the happiest time of the week and early mornings in Heathrow on Monday were worst.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I dealt with my year in Switzerland by getting the client to pay for my flights back to London at weekends. (Business class flights - those were the days!)Friday afternoon about 4 pm on my way to the airport was the happiest time of the week and early mornings in Heathrow on Monday were worst.
                    I am enjoying it just the same way as you did.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Working...
                    X