• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bass Guitars

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bass Guitars

Anybody use a "Squire"? EUR 199 looks good, but haven't tried it yet

Is it OK?

Should do us until we become famous
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Anybody use a "Squire"? EUR 199 looks good, but haven't tried it yet

Is it OK?

Should do us until we become famous
    Do you mean Squier? The budget Fender models?

Can't see that it would make a lot of difference to the sound until you start plugging it into some expensive recording equipment.

Might make a difference to your feeling of self worth though. I see a lot of buskers using them.

I don't bother any more myself but when I used to play, I couldn't bring myself to buy a Squier and ended up with a Korean made Fender strat instead. It probably made no difference to the sound, you just pay for the name and the all important logo.

Comment

Great thx Gonzo that's good.

We're playing in cheap Cafe's, if only you could see our venues A Squier bass is better than an empty handed lead singer
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

It should do the job fine, anyway its only a bass...

A decent amp is more important or if you're going throught the PA a decent sound engineer.
        Me, me, me...

Comment

That is a plus point, the lead singer has a high quality PA. So I'm hopeful
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

It seems you are new to bass playing. Which means the sounds you make will be of roughly the same quality if you spend €200 or you spend €20,000.

When you've acquired some skill, then look at getting a higher quality bass.

I would recommend getting good quality strings though. That seems to make quite a difference.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

It isn't for me but for the lead singer. Anyway we will be using it for gigs so we are looking for simple bass lines, but it should be a good sound. Not out of tune or tinny.

Thanks for the advice. I agree about the strings. Reading around the reviews if you replace the pickups on the Squier you get a much higher quality sound. So maybe that would be an option.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Broomstick, cardboard box (or old biscuit tin) with a hole in it and a length of string. Worked for skiffle bands...
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

The Squire bass guitars are really variable in quality across the range. So you have to tell us which model.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

'Squier' as well, FFS, you made me spell it wrong too!
                    Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                    threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Working...
                    X