• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Crazy idea

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy idea

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7049275.stm

Switch off email all you want - just leave CUK alone!
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

I went on a Time management course once (LOL). One of the best tips was to check your email first thing, respond to what was needed then turn it off. At EOB check it once more.

The problem is people want to jump straight to the front of the queue, and get arsey when you don't respond straight away.

It's like being in a queue at a shop and someone cutting straight to the front by saying "Out of the way, I need to be dealt with first" they would probably get punched, so why is this behaviour acceptable with email?
    The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

In Intel's case the push to look again at the culture of e-mail followed a comment from chief executive Paul Otellini criticising engineers "who sit two cubicles apart sending an e-mail rather than get up and talk".
      That's ridiculous! Have these people never heard of instant messaging? It saves me walking several feet to talk with other developers every day.

(That reminds me, I must ping the guy who's supposed to be fixing the database server; I can see the top of his head over his monitor, so he must be out of his meeting now.

Either that, or I could go downstairs and get a sandwich.)

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        That's ridiculous! Have these people never heard of instant messaging? It saves me walking several feet to talk with other developers every day.

(That reminds me, I must ping the guy who's supposed to be fixing the database server; I can see the top of his head over his monitor, so he must be out of his meeting now.

Either that, or I could go downstairs and get a sandwich.)
        http://www.bluejumper.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
          I went on a Time management course once (LOL). One of the best tips was to check your email first thing, respond to what was needed then turn it off. At EOB check it once more.

The problem is people want to jump straight to the front of the queue, and get arsey when you don't respond straight away.

It's like being in a queue at a shop and someone cutting straight to the front by saying "Out of the way, I need to be dealt with first" they would probably get punched, so why is this behaviour acceptable with email?
          I have a friend who's a nurse and she told me someone phoned her up complaining that she hadn't answered an email that'd been sent 'half an hour' ago.

Talk about people who are in too much of a rush. Saw this happen last night. I nearly fell off my bike I was laughing so much.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I email a couple of people who work near me because I can't bear to talking to them.. one's a mouth breathing spit-while-she-talks and the other has the most irritatingly nasal scouse accent..

Hevra

Comment

Originally posted by Hevra View Post
              irritatingly nasal scouse accent..

Hevra
              Tautology
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

In actual fact e-mail isn't strictly forbidden but engineers are encouraged to talk to each other face to face or pick up the phone rather than rely on e-mail
                eh ?

talk to each other - I don't think that would be a good idea....
                Cenedl heb iaith, cenedl heb galon

Comment

Working...
                X